Credit Cards and Money Demand: A Cross-sectional Study
This study investigates credit card holding and the household demands for several monetary assets in a simultaneous equations framework. It exploits the detailed data on household assets as well as demographic and preference characteristics in the 1983 Survey of Consumer Finances. A key finding is that, consistent with theory, a higher probability of credit card ownership implies lower demand for transaction balances with no effect on small time deposit balances. Copyright 1995 by Ohio State University Press.
Volume (Year): 27 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akhand, Hafiz & Milbourne, Ross, 1986. "Credit cards and aggregate money demand," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 471-478.
- Reuben Gronau, 1974.
"The Effect of Children on the Housewife's Value of Time,"
in: Economics of the Family: Marriage, Children, and Human Capital, pages 457-490
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1973. "The Effect of Children on the Housewife's Value of Time," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S168-99, Part II, .
- John V. Duca & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 1991. "An econometric analysis of borrowing constraints and household debt," Research Paper 9111, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Trost, Robert P., 1978. "Estimation of some limited dependent variable models with application to housing demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 357-382, December.
- Feige, Edgar L, 1974. "Temporal Cross-Section Specifications of the Demand for Demand Deposits," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(3), pages 923-40, June.
- Edgar L. Feige, 1964. "The Demand For Liquid Assets: A Temporal Cross‐Section Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 116-117, 03.
- James J. Heckman, 1977.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
NBER Working Papers
0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- Lindley, James T. & Rudolph, Patricia & Selby, Edward Jr., 1989. "Credit card possesion and use: Changes over time," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 127-142, May.
- White, Kenneth J, 1976. "The Effect of Bank Credit Cards on the Household Transactions Demand for Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 51-61, February.
- Jappelli, Tullio, 1990. "Who Is Credit Constrained in the U.S. Economy?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 219-34, February.
- Boyes, William J. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Low, Stuart A., 1989. "An econometric analysis of the bank credit scoring problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-14, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:27:y:1995:i:2:p:604-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.