Conditional Moment Models under Semi-Strong Identification
We consider models defined by conditional moment restrictions under semi-strong identification. Identification strength is directly defined through the conditional mo- ments that flatten as the sample size increases. The framework allows for different iden- tification strengths across parameter’s components. We propose a minimum distance estimator that is robust to semi-strong identification and does not rely on the choice of a user-chosen parameter, such as the number of instruments or any other smoothing parameter. Our method yields consistent and asymptotically normal estimators of each parameter’s components. Heteroskedasticity-robust inference is possible through Wald testing without prior knowledge of the identification pattern. In simulations, we find that our estimator is competitive with alternative estimators based on many instruments. In particular, it is well-centered with better coverage rates for confidence intervals.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6, Canada|
Web page: http://www.sfu.ca/economics.html
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Working Paper Coordinator, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6, Canada|
Web: http://www.sfu.ca/economics/research/publications.html Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Norman R. Swanson & John C. Chao & Jerry A. Hausman & Whitney K. Newey & Tiemen Woutersen, 2011.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation with Heteroskedasticity and Many Instruments,"
Departmental Working Papers
201111, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Whitney K. Newey & Tiemen Woutersen & John C. Chao & Norman R. Swanson, 2012. "Instrumental variable estimation with heteroskedasticity and many instruments," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 3(2), pages 211-255, 07.
- Jerry Hausman & Whitney Newey & Tiemen Woutersen & John Chao & Norman Swanson, 2007. "Instrumental variable estimation with heteroskedasticity and many instruments," CeMMAP working papers CWP22/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hausman & Newey & Woutersen & Chao & Swanson, 2009. "Instrumental Variable Estimation with Heteroskedasticity and Many Instruments," Economics Working Paper Archive 566, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Hahn, Jinyong & Kuersteiner, Guido, 2002. "Discontinuities of weak instrument limiting distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 325-331, May.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1982. "Consistent model specification tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 105-134, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sfu:sfudps:dp11-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Working Paper Coordinator)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.