Testing Identification Strength
We consider models defined by a set of moment restrictions that may be subject to weak identification. Following the recent literature, the identification of the structural parameters is characterized by the Jacobian of the moment conditions. We unify several definitions of identification that have been used in the literature, and show how they are linked to the consistency and asymptotic normality of GMM estimators. We then develop two tests to assess the identification strength of the structural parameters. Both tests are straightforward to apply. In simulations, our tests are well-behaved when compared to contenders, both in terms of size and power.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.sfu.ca/economics.html
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Working Paper Coordinator, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6, Canada|
Web: http://www.sfu.ca/economics/research/publications.html Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Christian & Hausman, Jerry & Newey, Whitney, 2008.
"Estimation With Many Instrumental Variables,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 398-422.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1994. "Asymptotics for Semiparametric Econometric Models via Stochastic Equicontinuity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 43-72, January.
- Dridi, Ramdan & Guay, Alain & Renault, Eric, 2007. "Indirect inference and calibration of dynamic stochastic general equilibrium models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 397-430, February.
- Saraswata Chaudhuri & Eric Zivot, 2008.
"A new method of projection-based inference in GMM with weakly identified nuisance parameters,"
UWEC-2008-26, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Chaudhuri, Saraswata & Zivot, Eric, 2011. "A new method of projection-based inference in GMM with weakly identified nuisance parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 239-251, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sfu:sfudps:dp12-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Working Paper Coordinator)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.