Weak Identification in Fuzzy Regression Discontinuity Designs
In fuzzy regression discontinuity (FRD) designs, the treatment effect is identified through a discontinuity in the conditional probability of treatment assignment. We show that when identification is weak (i.e. when the discontinuity is of a small magnitude) the usual t-test based on the FRD estimator and its standard error suffers from asymptotic size distortions as in a standard instrumental variables setting. This problem can be especially severe in the FRD setting since only observations close to the discontinuity are useful for estimating the treatment effect. To eliminate those size distortions, we propose a modified t-statistic that uses a null-restricted version of the standard error of the FRD estimator. Simple and asymptotically valid confidence sets for the treatment effect can be also constructed using this null-restricted standard error. An extension to testing for constancy of the regression discontinuity effect across covariates is also discussed.
|Date of creation:||15 May 2010|
|Date of revision:||02 Mar 2015|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of Business & Economic Statistics|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua D. Angrist & Victor Lavy, 1999. "Using Maimonides' Rule To Estimate The Effect Of Class Size On Scholastic Achievement," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 533-575, May.
- Miguel Urquiola & Eric A. Verhoogen, 2007.
"Class size and sorting in market equilibrium: Theory and evidence,"
0607-14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Miguel Urquiola & Eric Verhoogen, 2009. "Class-Size Caps, Sorting, and the Regression-Discontinuity Design," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 179-215, March.
- Urquiola, Miguel & Verhoogen, Eric, 2007. "Class Size and Sorting in Market Equilibrium: Theory and Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 2963, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Urquiola, Miguel & Verhoogen, Eric A, 2007. "Class Size and Sorting in Market Equilibrium: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6425, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miguel Urquiola & Eric Verhoogen, 2007. "Class Size and Sorting in Market Equilibrium: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 13303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Lemieux, Thomas, 2008.
"Regression discontinuity designs: A guide to practice,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 615-635, February.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Technical Working Papers 0337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Working Papers 13039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taisuke Otsu & Yukitoshi Matsushita & Ke-Li Xu, 2014.
"Empirical likelihood for regression discontinuity design,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
58065, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Otsu, Taisuke & Xu, Ke-Li & Matsushita, Yukitoshi, 2015. "Empirical likelihood for regression discontinuity design," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 94-112.
- Taisuke Otsu & Ke-Li Xu, 2011. "Empirical Likelihood for Regression Discontinuity Design," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1799, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yukitoshi Matsushita & Taisuke Otsu & Ke-Li Xu, 2014. "Empirical Likelihood for Regression Discontinuity Design," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2014/573, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Marcelo J. Moreira & James H. Stock, 2006. "Optimal Two-Sided Invariant Similar Tests for Instrumental Variables Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 715-752, 05.
- Marcelo J. Moreira, 2003. "A Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test for Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1027-1048, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:pmicro:vadim_marmer-2010-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.