Asset Price Dynamics among Heterogeneous Interacting Agents
In this paper, we investigate the presence of rationalherding on asset price dynamics during the intra-day trading withheterogeneous interacting agents, whose information set is notcomplete. In the model, individual probability measures offinancial investment strategies are defined using statisticalmechanics concepts. In addition, there is a learning processtoward the best strategy, implemented as a geneticalgorithm. Simulations show that imitative behavior can be arational strategy, since it allows an investor to gain excessreturns on an asset by exploiting information regarding pricedynamics not strictly contained in the fundamental solution. Herdbehavior is rational in the sense that it produces profits at theexpense of increasing the complexity of the system. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cepremap.cnrs.fr/sce2002.html/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xue-Zhong He & Carl Chiarella, 1999.
"Heterogeneous Beliefs, Risk and Learning in a Simple Asset-Pricing Model,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
223, Society for Computational Economics.
- Chiarella, Carl & He, Xue-Zhong, 2002. "Heterogeneous Beliefs, Risk and Learning in a Simple Asset Pricing Model," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 19(1), pages 95-132, February.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 1999. "Heterogeneous Beliefs, Risks and Learning in a Simple Asset Pricing Model," Research Paper Series 18, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Brock, W.A., 1995.
"A Rational Route to Randomness,"
9530, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- KIRMAN, Alan & TEYSSIÈRE, Gilles, .
"Microeconomic models for long memory in the volatility of financial time series,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1593, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kirman Alan & Teyssière Gilles, 2002. "Microeconomic Models for Long Memory in the Volatility of Financial Time Series," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(4), pages 1-23, January.
- Gilles Teyssière & Alan Kirman, 2001. "Microeconomic Models for Long-Memory in the Volatility of Financial Time Series," CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001 5A.4, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- KIRMAN, Alan & TEYSSIÈRE, Gilles, 2002. "Microeconomic models for long-memory in the volatility of financial time series," CORE Discussion Papers 2002056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alan P. Kirman, Gilles Teyssiere, 2001. "Microeconomic Models for Long-Memory in the Volatility of Financial Time Series," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 221, Society for Computational Economics.
- Lux, T. & M. Marchesi, . "Scaling and Criticality in a Stochastic Multi-Agent Model of a Financial Market," Discussion Paper Serie B 438, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Jul 1998.
- C. Chiarella & X-Z. He, 2001.
"Asset price and wealth dynamics under heterogeneous expectations,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(5), pages 509-526.
- Xue-Zhong (Tony) He & Carl Chiarella, 2001. "Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics under Heterogeneous Expectations," CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001 5A.2, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2001. "Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics Under Heterogeneous Expectations," Research Paper Series 56, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Routledge, Bryan R, 1999. "Adaptive Learning in Financial Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1165-1202.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1994. "Inductive Reasoning and Bounded Rationality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 406-11, May.
- W. Brian Arthur, 1992. "On Learning and Adaptation in the Economy," Working Papers 854, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf2:222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.