Taxing international emissions trading
Most tradable permit regimes have ignored the role of emission allowance taxation whereas the OECD and the European Union have emphasized the need for further investigation of the related efficiency and effectiveness consequences. The aim of our paper is to take a first step in this direction. We illustrate a theoretical model featuring I representative competitive firms/countries. Our theoretical results show that accounting for permit taxation implies a distortion in the equilibrium price as well as an impact on emissions distribution across countries. The specific features of these distortions are then investigated through a Computable General Equilibrium model in which several options for taxes on net sellers’ permit revenues and defiscalization of net buyers’ permit costs are simulated. Welfare analysis is performed, suggesting that the design of permit taxation is relevant in determining how welfare gains and losses are distributed across countries.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114612
Fax: +39 06 57114771
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/dipartimenti/economia/it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Parry, Ian W. H. & Williams III, Roberton C. & Burtraw, Dallas, 1999.
"The cost-effectiveness of alternative instruments for environmental protection in a second-best setting,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 329-360, June.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Ian W. H. Parry & Roberton C. Williams III & Dallas Burtraw, 1998. "The Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Instruments for Environmental Protection in a Second-Best Setting," NBER Working Papers 6464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burtraw, Dallas & Parry, Ian & Goulder, Lawrence & Williams III, Roberton, 1998. "The Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Instruments for Environmental Protection in a Second-Best Setting," Discussion Papers dp-98-22, Resources For the Future.
- Christoph Böhringer & Dijkstra Bouwe & Knut Einar Rosendahl, 2011.
"Sectoral and Regional Expansion of Emissions Trading,"
V-337-11, University of Oldenburg, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2011.
- Christoph Böhringer & Bouwe Dijkstra & Knut Einar Rosendahl, 2011. "Sectoral and regional expansion of emissions trading," Discussion Papers 654, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Shah, Shekhar & Mishra, Deepak & Panagariya, Arvind, 1996.
"Demand elasticities in international trade : are they really low?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1712, The World Bank.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Shah, Shekhar & Mishra, Deepak, 2001. "Demand elasticities in international trade: are they really low?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 313-342, April.
- Mark J. Koetse & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2006.
"Capital-Energy Substitution and Shifts in Factor Demand: A Meta-Analysis,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-061/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Koetse, Mark J. & de Groot, Henri L.F. & Florax, Raymond J.G.M., 2008. "Capital-energy substitution and shifts in factor demand: A meta-analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2236-2251, September.
- Fischer, Carolyn, 2001.
"Multinational Taxation and International Emissions Trading,"
dp-01-18, Resources For the Future.
- Fischer, Carolyn, 2006. "Multinational taxation and international emissions trading," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 139-159, May.
- Ethan Yale, 2008. "Taxing Cap-and-Trade Environmental Regulation," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 535-550, 06.
- Christoph Böhringer & Henrike Koschel & Ulf Moslener, 2008. "Efficiency losses from overlapping regulation of EU carbon emissions," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 299-317, June.
- Welsch, Heinz, 2008. "Armington elasticities for energy policy modeling: Evidence from four European countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2252-2264, September.
- Odd Godal & Bjart Holtsmark, 2011. "Permit Trading: Merely an Efficiency‐Neutral Redistribution away from Climate‐Change Victims?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(4), pages 784-797, December.
- repec:old:wpaper:337-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Azusa OKAGAWA & Kanemi BAN, 2008. "Estimation of substitution elasticities for CGE models," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 08-16, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Steven Sorrell, 2003. "Carbon Trading in the Policy Mix," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(3), pages 420-437.
- Michael Hoel, 2011.
"The Supply Side of CO 2 with Country Heterogeneity,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(4), pages 846-865, December.
- Thomas Hertel & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2004.
"How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?,"
NBER Working Papers
10477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hertel, Thomas & Hummels, David & Ivanic, Maros & Keeney, Roman, 2007. "How confident can we be of CGE-based assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 611-635, July.
- Hertel, Thomas & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2003. "How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," GTAP Working Papers 1324, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Martin Altemeyer-Bartscher & Anil Markandya & Dirk T. G. Rübbelke, 2014. "International Side-payments to Improve Global Public Good Provision when Transfers are Refinanced through a Tax on Local and Global Externalities," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1), pages 71-93, March.
- Nathan Rive & Dirk Rübbelke, 2010. "International environmental policy and poverty alleviation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 146(3), pages 515-543, September.
- Tim Laing & Misato Sato & Michael Grubb & Claudia Comberti, 2013. "Assessing the effectiveness of the EU Emissions Trading System," GRI Working Papers 106, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Burniaux, Jean-Marc & Truong Truong, 2002. "GTAP-E: An Energy-Environmental Version of the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 923, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- BRECHET, Thierry & PERALTA, Susana, 2007.
"The race for polluting permits,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2007027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fankhauser, Samuel & Martin, Nat, 2010. "The economics of the CDM levy: Revenue potential, tax incidence and distortionary effects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 357-363, January.
- Beckman, Jayson & Hertel, Thomas & Tyner, Wallace, 2011. "Validating energy-oriented CGE models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 799-806, September.
- Hanslow, Kevin, 2000. "A General Welfare Decomposition for CGE Models," GTAP Technical Papers 498, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Paul Ekins & Philip Summerton & Chris Thoung & Daniel Lee, 2011. "A Major Environmental Tax Reform for the UK: Results for the Economy, Employment and the Environment," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 50(3), pages 447-474, November.
- Simone Borghesi, 2011.
"The European emission trading scheme and renewable energy policies: credible targets for incredible results?,"
International Journal of Sustainable Economy,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3), pages 312-327.
- Simone Borghesi, 2010. "The European Emission Trading Scheme and Renewable Energy Policies: Credible Targets for Incredible Results?," Working Papers 2010.141, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Carbone, Jared C. & Helm, Carsten & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2009.
"The case for international emission trade in the absence of cooperative climate policy,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 266-280, November.
- Carbone, Jared C. & Helm, Carsten & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2008. "The Case for International Emission Trade in the Absence of Cooperative Climate Policy," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 35491, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Antimiani, Alessandro & Costantini, Valeria & Martini, Chiara & Salvatici, Luca & Tommasino, Maria Cristina, 2013. "Assessing alternative solutions to carbon leakage," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 299-311.
- Ekins, Paul & Pollitt, Hector & Barton, Jennifer & Blobel, Daniel, 2011. "The implications for households of environmental tax reform (ETR) in Europe," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(12), pages 2472-2485.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtr:wpaper:0143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Telephone for information)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.