ETS and Technological Innovation: A Random Matching Model
The present paper investigates the functioning of an Emission Trading System (ETS) and its impact on the diffusion of environmental-friendly technological innovation in the presence of firms’ strategic behaviours and sanctions to non-compliant firms. For this purpose, we study an evolutionary game model with random matching, namely, a context in which a population of firms interact through pairwise random matchings. We assume that each firm has to decide whether to adopt a new clean technology or keep on using the old technology that requires pollution permits to operate and that the strategy whose expected payoff is greater than the average payoff spreads within the population at the expense of the alternative strategy (the so-called replicator dynamics). We investigate the technological dynamics and the stationary states that emerge from the model. From the analysis of the model, we show that by properly modifying the penalty on non-compliant firms, it is possible to shift from one dynamic regime to another and that an increase in permits trade can promote the diffusion of innovative pollution-free technologies.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.feem.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. H. Dales, 1968. "Land, Water, and Ownership," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 1(4), pages 791-804, November.
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezlepretre, 2012.
"Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European carbon market,"
1208, Chaire Economie du Climat.
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprêtre, 2012. "Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European Carbon Market," CEP Discussion Papers dp1141, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprêtre, 2012. "Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European Carbon Market," Working Papers 2012.22, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Rafael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprï¿½tre, 2012. "Environmental policy and directed technological change: evidence from the European carbon maket," GRI Working Papers 75, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Hiroaki Ino, 2010.
"Optimal Environmental Policy for Waste Disposal and Recycling When Firms Are Not Compliant,"
Discussion Paper Series
50, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Jan 2010.
- Ino, Hiroaki, 2011. "Optimal environmental policy for waste disposal and recycling when firms are not compliant," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 290-308, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521196475 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brauneis, Alexander & Mestel, Roland & Palan, Stefan, 2013.
"Inducing low-carbon investment in the electric power industry through a price floor for emissions trading,"
Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 190-204.
- Alexander Brauneis & Roland Mestel & Stefan Palan & Michael Loretz, 2011. "Inducing Low-Carbon Investment in the Electric Power Industry through a Price Floor for Emissions Trading," Working Paper Series, Social and Economic Sciences 2011-01, Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences, Karl-Franzens-University Graz.
- Alexander Brauneis & Michael Loretz & Roland Mestel & Stefan Palan, 2011. "Inducing Low-Carbon Investment in the Electric Power Industry through a Price Floor for Emissions Trading," Working Papers 2011.74, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Carraro, Carlo & De Cian, Enrica & Nicita, Lea & Massetti, Emanuele & Verdolini, Elena, 2010. "Environmental Policy and Technical Change: A Survey," International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, now publishers, vol. 4(2), pages 163-219, October.
- De Perthuis, Christian & Convery, Frank J. & Ellerman, Denny, 2010. "Pricing carbon : the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10174, Paris Dauphine University.
- Rogge, Karoline S. & Schneider, Malte & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2011. "The innovation impact of the EU Emission Trading System -- Findings of company case studies in the German power sector," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 513-523, January.
- O'Neil, William & David, Martin & Moore, Christina & Joeres, Erhard, 1983. "Transferable discharge permits and economic efficiency: The fox river," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 346-355, December.
- Frank Convery, 2009. "Origins and Development of the EU ETS," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 391-412, July.
- Hagem, Cathrine & Westskog, Hege, 1998. "The Design of a Dynamic Tradeable Quota System under Market Imperfections," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 89-107, July.
- Wirl, Franz, 2009. "Oligopoly meets oligopsony: The case of permits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 329-337, November.
- Simone Borghesi, 2011.
"The European emission trading scheme and renewable energy policies: credible targets for incredible results?,"
International Journal of Sustainable Economy,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3), pages 312-327.
- Simone Borghesi, 2010. "The European Emission Trading Scheme and Renewable Energy Policies: Credible Targets for Incredible Results?," Working Papers 2010.141, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Simone Borghesi & Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2012. "Brown Sunsets and Green Dawns in the Industrial Sector: Environmental Innovations, Firm Behavior and the European Emission Trading," Working Papers 2012.03, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Georg Grüll & Luca Taschini, 2010.
"Cap-and-trade properties under different hybrid scheme designs,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
37597, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Grüll, Georg & Taschini, Luca, 2011. "Cap-and-trade properties under different hybrid scheme designs," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 107-118, January.
- Georg Grï¿½ll & Luca Taschini, 2010. "Cap-and-trade properties under different hybrid scheme designs," GRI Working Papers 26, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Simone Borghesi, 2008. "Il sistema dei permessi negoziabili per la gestione dell’acqua: un’analisi dei principali casi di studio," Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali, Vita e Pensiero, Pubblicazioni dell'Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, vol. 116(2), pages 137-158.
- Hahn, Robert W., 1982.
"Market Power and Transferable Property Rights,"
402, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Valeria Costantini & Alessio D'Amato & Chiara Martini & Maria Cristina Tommasino & Edilio Valentini & Mariangela Zoli, 2011.
"Taxing international emissions trading,"
Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre'
0143, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2012.79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.