Assessing the effectiveness of the EU Emissions Trading System
As an increasing number of countries, regions, cities and states implement emission trading policies to limit cap CO2 emission, many turn to the experience of the European Unionï¿½s Emissions Trading System, as the largest greenhouse gas emissions trading system currently operating. The aim of this paper is to survey the literature conducted over the past eight years of the schemeï¿½s existence, particularly those focusing on three key challenging areas of evaluation: emissions impacts in relation to the balance with economic objectives; investment and innovation impacts; and finally profits and price impacts. Among the key conclusions is that the lack of flexibility in the structure of the EU ETS cap, and its inability to adjust to radically shifted wider economic conditions, in the shape of the financial crisis, threatens to undermine its efficacy in providing incentives for abatement.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/grantham.
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weber, Thomas A. & Neuhoff, Karsten, 2010.
"Carbon markets and technological innovation,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 115-132, September.
- Weber, T.A. & Neuhoff, K., 2009. "Carbon Markets and Technological Innovation," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0932, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jouvet, Pierre-André & Solier, Boris, 2013. "An overview of CO2 cost pass-through to electricity prices in Europe," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 1370-1376.
- Boris Solier & Pierre-André Jouvet, 2011. "An overview of CO2 cost pass-through to electricity prices in Europe," Working Papers 1108, Chaire Economie du climat.
- Pierre-André Jouvet & Boris Solier, 2013. "An overview of CO2 cost pass-through to electricity prices in Europe," Post-Print hal-01385884, HAL.
- Zachmann, Georg & von Hirschhausen, Christian, 2008. "First evidence of asymmetric cost pass-through of EU emissions allowances: Examining wholesale electricity prices in Germany," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 465-469, June.
- Georg Zachmann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2007. "First Evidence of Asymmetric Cost Pass-Through of EU Emissions Allowances: Examining Wholesale Electricity Prices in Germany," Working Papers 0710, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Georg Zachmann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2007. "First Evidence of Asymmetric Cost Pass-through of EU Emissions Allowances: Examining Wholesale Electricity Prices in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 708, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Barry Anderson & Corrado Di Maria, 2011. "Abatement and Allocation in the Pilot Phase of the EU ETS," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(1), pages 83-103, January.
- Corrado Di Maria & Barry Anderson & Frank Convery, 2009. "Abatement and Allocation in the Pilot Phase of the EU ETS," Working Papers 2009.110, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- repec:reg:briefs:594 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10174 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stahn, Kerstin, 2006. "Has the export pricing behaviour of German enterprises changed? Empirical evidence from German sectoral prices," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,37, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- repec:jns:jbstat:v:227:y:2007:i:3:p:295-329 is not listed on IDEAS
- Juha Honkatukia & Ville Mälkönen & Adriaan Perrels, 2006. "Impacts of the European Emission Trade System on Finnish Wholesale Electricity Prices," Discussion Papers 405, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)