Global Governance of International Competitiveness Spillovers
Reducing public sector deficits and high debt burdens in part will require an increase in net exports – which is only possible if the countries concerned are able to produce goods and services that are 'competitive' on world markets. Policies aimed at enhancing competitiveness may be offset by actions taken in other countries and can generate negative international pecuniary spillovers. This paper discusses different approaches towards dealing with (perceived) cross-border externalities. In many cases there will be a significant degree of uncertainty as what the net effects of policies are, taking into account the overall impact of policy measures that have a bearing on firm-level competitiveness. A case is for greater cooperation to enhance the transparency of applied policies; assess their impacts and establish mechanisms to consult and exchange information.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Convento, Via delle Fontanelle, 19, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaditya Mattoo & Arvind Subramanian, 2008.
"Currency Undervaluation and Sovereign Wealth Funds: A New Role for the World Trade Organization,"
Working Paper Series
WP08-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Aaditya Mattoo & Arvind Subramanian, 2009. "Currency Undervaluation and Sovereign Wealth Funds: A New Role for the World Trade Organization," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(8), pages 1135-1164, 08.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Subramanian, Arvind, 2008. "Currency undervaluation and sovereign wealth funds : a new role for the World Trade Organization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4668, The World Bank.
- Arvind Subramanian & Aaditya Mattoo, 2008. "Currency Undervaluation and Sovereign Wealth Funds: A New Role for the World Trade Organization," Working Papers 142, Center for Global Development.
- Mavroidis, Petros, 2012. "Trade in Goods," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199657483.
- Maskus, Keith E., 2002. "Regulatory standards in the WTO: Comparing intellectual property rights with competition policy, environmental protection, and core labor standards," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 135-152, July.
- Dani Rodrik, 2008. "The Real Exchange Rate and Economic Growth," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(2 (Fall)), pages 365-439.
- Otaviano Canuto & Catiana García-Kilroy & Anderson Caputo Silva, 2012.
"The New Financial Landscape : What It Means for Emerging Market Economies,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
17090, The World Bank.
- Otaviano Canuto, 2012. "The New Financial Landscape: What It Means for Emerging Market Economies," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 87, pages 1-5, September.
- Joseph F. Francois & B. Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
wiiw Working Papers
60, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," Economics working papers 2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Del Gatto, Massimo & di Mauro, Filippo & Gruber, Joseph & Mandel, Benjamin, 2012. "The structural determinants of the US competitiveness in the last decades: a "trade-revealing" analysis," Working Paper Series 1443, European Central Bank.
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2005.
"Capital Controls: An Evaluation,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2005-19, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- Carlo Altomonte & Tommaso Aquilante & Gianmarco Ottaviano, . "The triggers of competitiveness: The EFIGE cross-country report," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 738, March.
- Chad Syverson, 2011.
"What Determines Productivity?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(2), pages 326-365, June.
- Mercedes Delgado & Christian Ketels & Michael E. Porter & Scott Stern, 2012. "The Determinants of National Competitiveness," NBER Working Papers 18249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl F Habermeier & Marcos d Chamon & Mahvash S Qureshi & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt, 2010. "Capital Inflows; The Role of Controls," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Hoekman, Bernard M. & Kostecki, Michel M., 2009. "The Political Economy of the World Trading System," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780199553778.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 2006. "Will International Rules on Subsidies Disrupt the World Trading System?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 877-895, June.
- Henschke, Lauren, 2012. "Going it alone on climate change A new challenge to WTO subsidies disciplines: are subsidies in support of emissions reductions schemes permissible under the WTO," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 27-52, January.
- Boltho, Andrea, 1996. "The Assessment: International Competitiveness," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 1-16, Autumn.
- Jose Guilherme Reis & Thomas Farole, 2012. "Trade Competitiveness Diagnostic Toolkit," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2248, April.
- Eden, Maya & Nguyen, Ha, 2012. "Correcting real exchange rate misalignment : conceptual and practical issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6045, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:2013/33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.