The triggers of competitiveness: The EFIGE cross-country report
Competitiveness is one of the most debated issues in policy circles. But, what triggers it? Capitalising on the first existing harmonised cross-country dataset measuring the entire range of international activities of firms in seven European countries (Austria, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom), we first confirm a number well-established results of the firm heterogeneity literature. Secondly, and more importantly, we identify several innovational, financial, organizational and managerial triggers of competitiveness at firm level. Finally, we argue that enhancing-competitiveness policymaking could be improved by firm-level evidence if there were less reluctance to the use of micro-founded indicators to inform policy decisions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Altomonte & Gabor Békés, 2009.
"Trade Complexity and Productivity,"
KITeS Working Papers
016, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2009.
- Gabor Békés & Carlo Altomonte, 2009. "Trade Complexity and Productivity," Working Papers 2009.62, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Carlo Altomonte & Gábor Békés, 2010. "Trade Complexity and Productivity," CeFiG Working Papers 12, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 25 Oct 2010.
- Carlo Altomonte & Gabor Bekes, 2009. "Trade Complexity and Productivity," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0914, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989.
"Quality Ladders And Product Cycles,"
39-89, Tel Aviv.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ladders And Product Cycles," Papers 152, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989. "Quality Ladders and Product Cycles," NBER Working Papers 3201, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stijn Claessens & Konstantinos Tzioumis, 2006. "Ownership and Financing Structures of Listed and Large Non-listed Corporations," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 266-276, 07.
- Ang, James & Madsen, Jakob, 2009.
"Can Second-Generation Endogenous Growth Models Explain The Productivity Trends and Knowledge Production In the Asian Miracle Economies?,"
17543, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James B. Ang & Jakob B. Madsen, 2011. "Can Second-Generation Endogenous Growth Models Explain the Productivity Trends and Knowledge Production in the Asian Miracle Economies?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 1360-1373, November.
- James B. Ang & Jakob B. Madsen, 2010. "Can Second-Generation Endogenous Growth Models Explain The Productivity Trends And Knowledge Production In The Asian Miracle Economies?," CAMA Working Papers 2010-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Bugamelli, Matteo & Schivardi, Fabiano & Zizza, Roberta, 2010.
"The Euro and Firm Restructuring,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7623, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, . "The euro and firm restructuring," Working Papers 10, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2009. "The euro and firm restructuring," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 716, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2008. "The Euro and Firm Restructuring," NBER Working Papers 14454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2010. "The euro and Firm Restructuring," Working Papers CELEG 1001, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1996. "Financial Constraints and Investment: Methodological Issues and International Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 70-89, Summer.
- Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1993. "Working Capital and Fixed Investment: New Evidence on Financing Constraints," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(3), pages 328-342, Autumn.
- Emanuele Forlani, 2010. "Liquidity Constraints and Firm’s Export Activity," Development Working Papers 291, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 30 Apr 2010.
- Minetti, Raoul & Zhu, Susan Chun, 2011. "Credit constraints and firm export: Microeconomic evidence from Italy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 109-125, March.
- Carlo Altomonte & Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Filippo di Mauro & Gianmarco Ottaviano, 2011. "Assessing competitiveness: how firm-level data can help," Policy Contributions 643, Bruegel.
- Greenaway, David & Guariglia, Alessandra & Kneller, Richard, 2007. "Financial factors and exporting decisions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 377-395, November.
- Paul Krugman, 1997. "Pop Internationalism," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262611333, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bre:bluprt:738. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.