Investigating the Influence of Firm Characteristics on the Ability to Exercise Market Power - A Stochastic Frontier Analysis Approach with an Application to the Iron Ore Market
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Germeshausen, Robert & Panke, Timo & Wetzel, Heike, 2014. "Investigating the influence of firm characteristics on the ability to exercise market power: A stochastic frontier analysis approach with an application to the iron ore market," ZEW Discussion Papers 14-105, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
References listed on IDEAS
- Luke Hurst, 2012.
"West and Central African Iron Ore: A Lesson in the Contestability of the Iron Ore Market,"
Crawford School Research Papers
1202, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Luke Hurst, 2012. "West and Central African Iron Ore : A Lesson in the Contestability of the Iron Ore Market," EABER Working Papers 23292, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Luke Hurst, 2012. "West and Central African Iron Ore : A Lesson in the Contestability of the Iron Ore Market," Trade Working Papers 23292, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hanns Hilpert & Florian Wassenberg, 2010. "Monopoly auf dem Eisenerzmarkt: Ursachen und Konsequenzen," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer;German National Library of Economics, vol. 90(8), pages 564-566, August.
- Joe S. Bain, 1951. "Relation of Profit Rate to Industry Concentration: American Manufacturing, 1936–1940," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 293-324.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Sun, Kai, 2013. "Derivation of marginal effects of determinants of technical inefficiency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 249-253.
- Filippini, Massimo & Wetzel, Heike, 2014.
"The impact of ownership unbundling on cost efficiency: Empirical evidence from the New Zealand electricity distribution sector,"
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 412-418.
- Filippini, Massimo & Wetzel, Heike, 2013. "The Impact of Ownership Unbundling on Cost Efficiency: Empirical Evidence from the New Zealand Electricity Distribution Sector," EWI Working Papers 2013-6, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln (EWI).
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1978. "The Optimal Exploration and Production of Nonrenewable Resources," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 841-861, October.
- Wilson, Jeffrey D., 2012. "Chinese resource security policies and the restructuring of the Asia-Pacific iron ore market," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 331-339.
- Lindenberg, Eric B & Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "Tobin's q Ratio and Industrial Organization," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Warell, Linda, 2007. "A horizontal merger in the iron ore industry: An event study approach," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 191-204, December.
- Döhrn, Roland & Janßen-Timmen, Ronald, 2012. "Die volkswirtschaftliche Bedeutung der Stahlindustrie," RWI Materialien 71, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Harold Hotelling, 1931. "The Economics of Exhaustible Resources," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 137-137.
- Kutlu, Levent & Sickles, Robin C., 2012. "Estimation of market power in the presence of firm level inefficiencies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 141-155.
- Christiaan Heij & Sabine Knapp, 2014. "Dynamics in the Dry Bulk Market Economic Activity, Trade Flows, and Safety in Shipping," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 48(3), pages 499-514, September.
- Lundmark, Robert & Nilsson, Mats, 2003. "What do economic simulations tell us? Recent mergers in the iron ore industry," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 111-118.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Sjur Baardsen & Gudbrand Lien, 2012. "A New Method for Estimating Market Power with an Application to Norwegian Sawmilling," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 40(2), pages 109-129, March.
- Sukagawa, Paul, 2010. "Is iron ore priced as a commodity? Past and current practice," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 54-63, March.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Hung-Jen Wang, 2002.
"Heteroscedasticity and Non-Monotonic Efficiency Effects of a Stochastic Frontier Model,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 241-253, November.
- Wang, Hung-Jen, 2002. "Heteroscedasticity and non-monotonic efficiency effects of a stochastic frontier model," MPRA Paper 31076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jose E. Galdon Sanchez & James A. Schmitz, 2003.
"Competitive pressure and labor productivity: world iron ore markets in the 1980s,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 9-23.
- José E. Galdón-Sánchez & James A. Schmitz Jr., 2002. "Competitive Pressure and Labor Productivity: World Iron-Ore Markets in the 1980's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1222-1235, September.
- Tilton, John E., 2001. "Labor productivity, costs, and mine survival during a recession," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 107-117, June.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1977.
"The Gains and Losses from Industrial Concentration,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 229-263, October.
- Sam Peltzman, 1977. "The Gains and Losses From Industrial Concentration," NBER Working Papers 0163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1985.
"The Measurement of Monopoly Power in Dynamic Markets,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 193-222, April.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1984. "The measurement of monopoly power in dynamic markets," Working papers 1540-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Kenneth G. Elzinga & David E. Mills, 2011. "The Lerner Index of Monopoly Power: Origins and Uses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 558-564, May.
- Aleksandar Zaklan & Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2011. "Welt-Metallmärkte: steigende Preise bei hoher Marktkonzentration," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 78(19), pages 11-14.
- Hellmer, Stefan, 1996. "The role of product differentiation in the iron ore industry : The case of LKAB," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 49-60.
- Chang, Hui-Shung, 1994. "Estimating Japanese import shares of iron ore," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 87-93, June.
- Lundmark, Robert & Wårell, Linda, 2008. "Horizontal mergers in the iron ore industry--An application of PCAIDS," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 129-141, September.
- Asafu-Adjaye, J. & Mahadevan, R., 2003. "How cost efficient are Australia's mining industries?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 315-329, July.
- David Levhari & Nissan Liviatan, 1977. "Notes on Hotelling's Economics of Exhaustible Resources," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 177-192, May.
- A. P. Lerner, 1934. "The Concept of Monopoly and the Measurement of Monopoly Power," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(3), pages 157-175.
- Hobbs, Benjamin F, 1986. "Mill Pricing versus Spatial Price Discrimination under Bertrand and Cournot Spatial Competition," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 173-191, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lorenczik, Stefan & Panke, Timo, 2016. "Assessing market structures in resource markets — An empirical analysis of the market for metallurgical coal using various equilibrium models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 179-187.
More about this item
Keywordsestimation of market power; Lerner indices; Stochastic Frontier Analysis; non-renewable resources;
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L72 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Mining, Extraction, and Refining: Other Nonrenewable Resources
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2016-03-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2016-03-29 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2016-03-29 (Efficiency & Productivity)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:ewikln:2014_017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Williams). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ewikode.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.