The United States and the PRC: Macroeconomic Imbalances and Economic Diplomacy
The People’s Republic of China (PRC)’s current account surplus, its growing foreign exchange reserves, and its shifting policies on exchange rate adjustment have become a central preoccupation of United States (US) trade policy. The paper considers the evolving political economy of the US policy stance and of the PRC’s response; it assesses the opportunity costs of an approach that has sometimes focused on the exchange rate to the exclusion of other issues; and it explores the ramifications for economic governance in the short- and medium-run.
|Date of creation:||02 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ray C Fair, 2010. "Estimated Macroeconomic Effects of a Chinese Yuan Appreciation," Business Economics, Palgrave Macmillan;National Association for Business Economics, vol. 45(4), pages 233-243, October.
- Barry Eichengreen & Gisela Rua, 2011.
"Exchange Rates and Global Rebalancing,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
23258, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- William R. Cline & John Williamson, 2011. "Estimates of Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates, May 2011," Policy Briefs PB11-5, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- María Jesús Herrerias & Vicente Orts, 2010. "Is the Export-led Growth Hypothesis Enough to Account for China's Growth?," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 18(s1), pages 34-51.
- Yiping Huang & Kunyu Tao, 2011.
"Causes of and Remedies for the Peopleâ€™s Republic of Chinaâ€™s External Imbalances : The Role of Factor Market Distortion,"
Finance Working Papers
23257, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Yiping Huang & Kunyu Tao, 2011. "Causes of and Remedies for the Peopleâ€™s Republic of Chinaâ€™s External Imbalances : The Role of Factor Market Distortion," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23257, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Qingyuan Du & Shang-Jin Wei, 2010. "A Sexually Unbalanced Model of Current Account Imbalances," NBER Working Papers 16000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thorbecke, Willem & Komoto, Ginalyn, 2010. "Investigating the Effect of Exchange Rate Changes on Transpacific Rebalancing," ADBI Working Papers 247, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ray C. Fair, 2010. "Estimated Macroeconomic Effects of a Chinese Yuan Appreciation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1755, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.