Regional Mismatch and Labor Reallocation in an Equilibrium Model of Migration
This paper examines the importance of regional labor reallocation for unemployment and studies the link between inter-regional mobility and reallocation. I construct a multi-region economy with segmented labor markets, endogenously determined regional house prices, and limited worker mobility, and structurally estimate it using state level data for the U.S. The estimated model can account for the comovements of relative house prices and unemployment with gross out- and in-migration observed in a panel of U.S. states. The estimation reveals large reallocation barriers across local labor markets in the form of imperfect directed migration, relative house price differences compensating for labor market differences, and a high moving cost for unemployed workers. These reallocation barriers dampen the response of individual migration decisions to regional labor market differences and contribute to regional mismatch and to shifts in the U.S. Beveridge curve. I apply this framework to understand the reallocation effects of the recent housing bust in the U.S.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saks, Raven E. & Wozniak, Abigail, 2007.
"Labor Reallocation over the Business Cycle: New Evidence from Internal Migration,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2766, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Raven E. Saks & Abigail Wozniak, 2011. "Labor Reallocation over the Business Cycle: New Evidence from Internal Migration," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 697-739.
- Raven E. Saks & Abigail Wozniak, 2007. "Labor reallocation over the business cycle: new evidence from internal migration," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2007-32, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sterk, Vincent, 2015.
"Home equity, mobility, and macroeconomic fluctuations,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 16-32.
- Vincent Sterk, 2010. "Home Equity, Mobility, and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," DNB Working Papers 265, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Damba Lkhagvasuren, 2009. "Large Locational Differences in Unemployment Despite High Labor Mobility: Impact of Moving Cost on Aggregate Unemployment and Welfare," Working Papers 09009, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2010.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed013:565. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.