HIV/AIDS-related Expectations and Risky Sexual Behavior in Malawi
We use probabilistic expectations data elicited from survey respondents in rural Malawi to investigate how risky sexual behavior may be influenced by individualsâ€™ survival expectations, which in turn depend on the perceived impact of HIV/AIDS on survival; expectations about own and partnerâ€™s HIV status; and expectations about HIV transmission rates. We find that subjective expectations play an important role in determining the decision to have multiple sexual partners. Using our estimated parameters, we simulate the impact of various policies that would influence expectations. An information campaign on mortality risk would decrease risky sexual behavior, while an information campaign on HIV transmission risks, which tend to be overestimated by respondents, would actually increase risky behavior. Also, the expansion of anti-retroviral therapy (ART) treatments to all individuals sick with AIDS would increase risky sexual behavior among HIV-negative individuals or those who have not been tested because individuals are aware that ART increases life expectancy, and thus reduces the cost of becoming HIV-positive.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adeline Delavande, 2008.
"Measuring revisions to subjective expectations,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 43-82, February.
- Lance Lochner, 2007.
"Individual Perceptions of the Criminal Justice System,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 444-460, March.
- Lance Lochner, 2005. "Individual Perceptions of the Criminal Justice System," 2005 Meeting Papers 452, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lance Lochner, 2003. "Individual Perceptions of the Criminal Justice System," NBER Working Papers 9474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Delavande, Adeline & Giné, Xavier & McKenzie, David, 2011.
"Measuring subjective expectations in developing countries: A critical review and new evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 151-163, March.
- Delavande, Adeline & Gine, Xavier & McKenzie, David, 2009. "Measuring Subjective Expectations in Developing Countries: A Critical Review and New Evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4824, The World Bank.
- Petra Todd & Gil Shapira & Aureo de Paula, 2009. "How Beliefs about HIV Affect Risky Behaviors: Evidence from Malawi," 2009 Meeting Papers 532, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- McKenzie, David & Gibson, John & Stillman, Steven, 2013.
"A land of milk and honey with streets paved with gold: Do emigrants have over-optimistic expectations about incomes abroad?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 116-127.
- McKenzie, David & Gibson, John & Stillman, Steven, 2007. "A land of milk and honey with streets paved with gold : do emigrants have over-optimistic expectations about incomes abroad ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4141, The World Bank.
- McKenzie, David & Gibson, John & Stillman, Steven, 2007. "A Land of Milk and Honey with Streets Paved with Gold: Do Emigrants Have Over-Optimistic Expectations about Incomes Abroad?," IZA Discussion Papers 2788, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David McKenzie & John Gibson & Steven Stillman, 2007. "A land of milk and honey with streets paved with gold: Do emigrants have over-optimistic expectations about incomes abroad?," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0709, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Hausman, J. A. & Abrevaya, Jason & Scott-Morton, F. M., 1998. "Misclassification of the dependent variable in a discrete-response setting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 239-269, September.
- Charles Bellemare & Sabine Kröger & Arthur van Soest, 2008.
"Measuring Inequity Aversion in a Heterogeneous Population Using Experimental Decisions and Subjective Probabilities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 76(4), pages 815-839, 07.
- Bellemare, C. & Kroger, S. & van Soest, A.H.O., 2008. "Measuring inequity aversion in a heterogeneous population using experimental decisions and subjective probabilities," Other publications TiSEM f17bda32-98f9-4580-ab3f-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Neeraj Sood & Dana Goldman, 2006.
"HIV Breakthroughs and Risky Sexual Behavior,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 121(3), pages 1063-1102, 08.
- Basit Zafar, 2013.
"College Major Choice and the Gender Gap,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 48(3), pages 545-595.
- Delavande, Adeline, 2005.
"Pill, Patch or Shot? Subjective Expectations and Birth Control Choice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4856, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adeline Delavande, 2008. "Pill, Patch, Or Shot? Subjective Expectations And Birth Control Choice," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(3), pages 999-1042, 08.
- Rebecca L. Thornton, 2008. "The Demand for, and Impact of, Learning HIV Status," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1829-63, December.
- Emily Oster, 2007.
"HIV and Sexual Behavior Change: Why Not Africa?,"
NBER Working Papers
13049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed012:90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.