Buyers, Sellers and Middlemen: Variations on Search-Theoretic Themes
We study bilateral exchange, both direct trade, and indirect trade that happens through chains of intermediaries, or middlemen. We develop a model of this activity and present a sequence of applications. We illustrate how, and how many, intermediaries get involved, and how the terms of trade are determined. We discuss the roles of buyers and sellers in bilateral exchange, and how to interpret prices. We develop a particular bargaining solution and discuss how it relates to other solutions. We also illustrate how bubbles can emerge in the value of inventories.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mei Dong, 2010. "Inflation And Variety," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(2), pages 401-420, 05.
- Gehrig, Thomas, 1993.
"Intermediation in Search Markets,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 97-120, Spring.
- Arial Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1985.
"Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
623, David K. Levine.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Wolinsky, Asher, 1985. "Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1133-50, September.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2008. "Information, Liquidity and Asset Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-039, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Adrian Masters, 2004.
"Middlemen in Search Equilibrium,"
04-11, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Nosal, Ed & Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2011. "Money, Payments, and Liquidity," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262016281, June.
- Gale, Douglas, 1987.
"Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-54, October.
- Douglas Gale, 2010. "Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining," Levine's Working Paper Archive 621, David K. Levine.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 2005. "Bargaining and Markets," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000515, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Shi Shougong, 1995.
"Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 467-496, December.
- Shouyong Shi, 1995. "Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining," Working Papers 916, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2007.
"Leaning Against the Wind,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1329-1354.
- Makoto Watanabe, 2012. "Middlemen: A Directed Search Equilibrium Approach," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-138/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Masters, Adrian, 2008. "Unpleasant middlemen," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 73-86, October.
- Alok Johri & John Leach, 2002.
"Middlemen and the Allocation of Heterogeneous Goods,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 347-362, May.
- Alok Johri & Lohn Leach, 2000. "Middlemen and the Allocation of Heterogeneous Goods," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-06, McMaster University.
- Watanabe, Makoto, 2010. "A model of merchants," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1865-1889, September.
- Lagos, Ricardo & Rocheteau, Guillaume & Weill, Pierre-Olivier, 2011.
"Crises and liquidity in over-the-counter markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2169-2205.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2009. "Crises and Liquidity in Over-the-Counter Markets," NBER Working Papers 15414, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill & Guillaume Rocheteau & Ricardo Lagos, 2010. "Crises and Liquidity in Over-the-counter Markets," 2010 Meeting Papers 500, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Yavas, Abdullah, 1992. "Marketmakers versus matchmakers," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Trejos, Alberto & Wright, Randall, 2001. "Cigarette Money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 99(1-2), pages 117-142, July.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Francois R. Velde, 1997.
"The big problem of small change,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-97-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gautam Bose & Abhijit Sengupta, 2010. "A Dynamic Model of Search and Intermediation," Discussion Papers 2010-04, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Judd, Kenneth L, 1983. "Equilibrium Price Dispersion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 955-69, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:374. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.