A search model of centralized and decentralized trade
This paper presents a search model of centralized and decentralized trade. In a centralized market, trades are intermediated by market makers at publicly posted bid–ask prices. In a decentralized market, traders search counterparties. Prices are negotiated and transactions are conducted in private meetings among traders. Traders can choose which market to enter. The determinants of bid–ask spreads and liquidity are analyzed. The welfare consequence of the market fragmentation is also analyzed. It is shown that compared to the competitive market-making, monopolistic market-making may improve social welfare. ? 2005 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2005|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Economic Dynamics|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Rust & George Hall, 2003.
"Middlemen versus Market Makers: A Theory of Competitive Exchange,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(2), pages 353-403, April.
- John Rust & George Hall, 2002. "Middlemen versus Market Makers: A Theory of Competitive Exchange," NBER Working Papers 8883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Rust & George Hall, 2001. "Middle Men Versus Market Makers: A Theory of Competitive Exchange," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1299, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ho, Thomas & Stoll, Hans R., 1981.
"Optimal dealer pricing under transactions and return uncertainty,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 47-73, March.
- Thomas Ho & Hans Stoll, . "Optimal Dealer Pricing Under Transactions and Return Uncertainty," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 27-79, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Tan Wang, 2004.
"Search and endogenous concentration of liquidity in asset markets,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
455, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Vayanos, Dimitri & Wang, Tan, 2007. "Search and endogenous concentration of liquidity in asset markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 66-104, September.
- Dmitrios Vayanos, 2004. "Search and Endogenous Concentration of Liquidity in Asset Markets," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 647, Econometric Society.
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2006.
"Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gehrig, Thomas, 1993.
"Intermediation in Search Markets,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 97-120, Spring.
- Arial Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1985.
"Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
623, David K. Levine.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Wolinsky, Asher, 1985. "Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1133-50, September.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2007.
"Leaning Against the Wind,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1329-1354.
- Pagano, Marco, 1989.
"Trading Volume and Asset Liquidity,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 255-74, May.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1980. "Dealership market : Market-making with inventory," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 31-53, March.
- repec:rus:hseeco:72158 is not listed on IDEAS
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1982. "Property Rights and Efficiency in Mating, Racing, and Related Games," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 968-79, December.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Randall Wright, 2002. "Competitive Pricing and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 217-27, April.
- Garman, Mark B., 1976. "Market microstructure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 257-275, June.
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1996. "Market Making by Price-Setting Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 559-80, October.
- Kugler, Tamar & Neeman, Zvika & Vulkan, Nir, 2006.
"Markets versus negotiations: An experimental investigation,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 121-134, July.
- Tamar Kugler & Zvika Neeman & Nir Vulkan, 2003. "Markets Versus Negotiations: An Experimental Investigation," Discussion Paper Series dp319, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Douglas Gale, 2010.
"Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
621, David K. Levine.
- Gale, Douglas, 1987. "Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-54, October.
- Lippman, Steven A & McCall, John J, 1986. "An Operational Measure of Liquidity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 43-55, March.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1990. "On the Efficiency of Matching and Related Models of Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 279-98, April.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Schnitzlein, Charles R, 1997. " When It's Not the Only Game in Town: The Effect of Bilateral Search on the Quality of a Dealer Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 683-712, June.
- Biais, Bruno, 1993. " Price Information and Equilibrium Liquidity in Fragmented and Centralized Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 157-85, March.
- Li, Yiting, 1998. "Middlemen and private information," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 131-159, June.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 1995. "Consolidation, Fragmentation, and the Disclosure of Trading Information," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 579-603.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bos:macppr:wp2005-012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gillian Gurish)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.