In the Wrong Hands: Complementarities, Resource Allocation, and Aggregate TFP
I explore mismatch between firm quality and firm management as a mechanism for variations in total factor productivity (TFP) across countries. In my calibrated model, even minor deviations from efficient (assortative) matching have sizeable effects on output and productivity. Underlying this result is the finding that the aggregate implications of matching frictions are highly sensitive to the degree of complementarity between firm and manager attributes. In addition, the relative dispersion of firm and managerial attributes is also key to quantifying the aggregate effects of matching frictions. The key model parameters are pinned down by calibrating the model to U.S. observations on the firm-size distribution and the level and distribution of managerial compensation. My results imply that "crony capitalism", where key managerial positions are allocated on the basis of political connections rather than talent, imposes a substantial burden on economic welfare.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Gabaix & Augustin Landier, 2006.
"Why Has CEO Pay Increased So Much?,"
NBER Working Papers
12365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diego Restuccia & Dennis Tao Yang & Xiaodong Zhu, 2003.
"Agriculture and Aggregate Productivity: A Quantitative Cross-Country Analysis,"
diegor-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Restuccia, Diego & Yang, Dennis Tao & Zhu, Xiaodong, 2008. "Agriculture and aggregate productivity: A quantitative cross-country analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 234-250, March.
- Diego Restuccia & Dennis Tao Yang & Xiaodong Zhu, 2007. "Agriculture and Aggregate Productivity: A Quantitative Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers e07-3, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Lucian Bebchuk & Alma Cohen, 2004.
"The Costs of Entrenched Boards,"
NBER Working Papers
10587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucian Bebchuk, . "The Costs of Entrenched Boards," American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings 1091, American Law & Economics Association.
- Harold L. Cole & Lee E. Ohanian & Alvaro Riascos & James A. Schmitz, Jr., 2004.
"Latin America in the rearview mirror,"
351, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Cole, Harold L. & Ohanian, Lee E. & Riascos, Alvaro & Schmitz, James Jr, 2005. "Latin America in the rearview mirror," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 69-107, January.
- Harold L. Cole & Lee E. Ohanian & Alvaro Riascos & James A. Schmitz, Jr., 2006. "Latin America in the rearview mirror," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sep.
- Berthold Herrendorf & Arilton Teixeira, 2011.
"Barriers To Entry And Development,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 52(2), pages 573-602, 05.
- Berthold Herrendorf & Arilton Teixeira, . "Barriers to Entry and Development," Working Papers 2167726, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Arilton Teixeira & Berthold Herrendorf, 2009. "Barriers to Entry and Development," Fucape Working Papers 22, Fucape Business School.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 1978. "On the Size Distribution of Business Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 508-523, Autumn.
- David N. DeJong & Chetan Dave, 2007.
"Introduction to Structural Macroeconometrics
[Structural Macroeconometrics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed009:1265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.