How should we treat under-performing schools? A regression discontinuity analysis of school inspections in England
We analyse the initial impact of a major school admission reform in Brighton and Hove. The new system incorporated a lottery for oversubscribed places and new catchment areas. We examine the post-reform changes in school composition. We locate the major winners and losers in terms of the quality of school attended. We match similar cities and conduct a difference-in-difference analysis of the policy change. We see no significant change in student sorting: if anything, the point estimates suggest a rise in socio-economic segregation. We do see a significant weakening of the dependence of school attended on studentâ€™s prior attainment.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (44) (0)20 7612 6654. Eliminate (44) and add (0) if calling from inside the UK. Add (44) and eliminate (0) if calling from abroad.
Fax: (44) (0)20 7612 6686
Web page: http://www.ioe.ac.uk/research/departments/qss/35445.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Gibbons & Shqiponja Telhaj, 2006.
"Are schools drifting apart? Intake stratification in English secondary schools,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19420, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Gibbons & Shqiponja Telhaj, 2007. "Are Schools Drifting Apart? Intake Stratification in English Secondary Schools," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 44(7), pages 1281-1305, June.
- Steve Gibbons & Shqiponja Telhaj, 2006. "Are Schools Drifting Apart? Intake Stratification in English Secondary Schools," CEE Discussion Papers 0064, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1995. "On the Price of Land and the Value of Amenities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(246), pages 247-67, May.
- repec:taf:jnlbes:v:30:y:2012:i:1:p:149-163 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007.
"A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods,"
07-27, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007. "A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(4), pages 588-638, 08.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007. "A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods," NBER Working Papers 13236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rebecca Allen, 2007. "Allocating Pupils to Their Nearest Secondary School: The Consequences for Social and Ability Stratification," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 44(4), pages 751-770, April.
- Allcott, Hunt, 2011. "Social norms and energy conservation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9-10), pages 1082-1095, October.
- Goodman, Allen C. & Thibodeau, Thomas G., 1998. "Housing Market Segmentation," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 121-143, June.
- Roth, Alvin E, 1984. "The Evolution of the Labor Market for Medical Interns and Residents: A Case Study in Game Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(6), pages 991-1016, December.
- Dennis Leech & Erick Campos, 2003. "Is comprehensive education really free?: a case-study of the effects of secondary school admissions policies on house prices in one local area," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 166(1), pages 135-154.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Victor Lavy, 1999. "Using Maimonides' Rule To Estimate The Effect Of Class Size On Scholastic Achievement," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 533-575, May.
- Ashenfelter, Orley C, 1978. "Estimating the Effect of Training Programs on Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 47-57, February.
- Dolton, Peter & O'Neill, Donal, 1996. "Unemployment Duration and the Restart Effect: Some Experimental Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 387-400, March.
- Rajashri Chakrabarti, 2005.
"Vouchers, Public School Response and the Role of Incentives: Evidence from Florida,"
- Rajashri Chakrabarti, 2013. "Vouchers, Public School Response, And The Role Of Incentives: Evidence From Florida," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(1), pages 500-526, 01.
- Rajashri Chakrabarti, 2007. "Vouchers, public school response, and the role of incentives: evidence from Florida," Staff Reports 306, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Allcott, Hunt, 2011. "Social norms and energy conservation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1082-1095.
- Rebecca Allen & Anna Vignoles, 2006. "What Should an Index of School Segregation Measure?," CEE Discussion Papers 0060, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Bogart, William T. & Cromwell, Brian A., 1997. "How Much More is a Good School District Worth?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 50(2), pages 215-32, June.
- Thomas S. Dee & Brian Jacob, 2011. "The impact of no Child Left Behind on student achievement," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(3), pages 418-446, 06.
- Maria Marta Ferreyra, 2007. "Estimating the Effects of Private School Vouchers in Multidistrict Economies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 789-817, June.
- Gibbons, Steve & Machin, Stephen, 2003. "Valuing English primary schools," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 197-219, March.
- Brunner, Eric J. & Imazeki, Jennifer, 2008. "Tiebout choice and universal school vouchers," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 253-279, January.
- Thomas J. Nechyba, 2000. "Mobility, Targeting, and Private-School Vouchers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 130-146, March.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf & Randall Walsh, 1999. "The Role of Optimizing Behavior in Willingness-to-Pay Estimates for Air Quality," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1112-1117.
- Leslie Rosenthal, 2003.
"The Value of Secondary School Quality,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(3), pages 329-355, 07.
- Leslie Rosenthal, 2000. "The value of secondary school quality," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 2000/06, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Rebecca Allen & Simon Burgess, 2011. "Can School League Tables Help Parents Choose Schools?," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 32(2), pages 245-261, 06.
- Simon Burgess & Deborah Wilson & Jack Worth, 2010. "A natural experiment in school accountability: the impact of school performance information on pupil progress and sorting," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 10/246, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qss:dqsswp:1020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bilal Nasim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.