Impact du commerce extérieur sur la productivité au sein des secteurs en Tunisie : cas de l’industrie manufacturière
[Impact of foreign trade on productivity within sectors in Tunisia: the case of manufacturing industry]
This paper provides an empirical evidence of the impact of foreign trade on the sectorial productivity for the Tunisian manufacturer sector. The objective is to show that the insufficiency of the traditional theory in the explanation of the impact of the international trade on the labour market can be explained by the presence of an intrasectorel component that results from the reaction of firms facing the competition. Using recent unit root procedures applied to panel data regressions (Im, Pesaran & Shin’s (1997) and coïntegration tests (Pedroni’s (1999)), the results exhibit a positive impact of value added and trade on the productivity of the manufacturer sector. The survey by sector shows that the value added acts positively on all sectors whereas for trade a positive and statistically significant effect exist only for the ICH and IMD sectors.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 1994.
"L'émergence de l'Asie en développement menace-t-elle l'emploi en France ?,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/1824, Sciences Po.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 1994. "L'émergence de l'Asie en développement menace-t-elle l'emploi en France ?," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 48(1), pages 55-106.
- Robert E. Baldwin & Glen G. Cain, 1997.
"Shifts in U.S. Relative Wages: The Role of Trade, Technology and Factor Endowments,"
NBER Working Papers
5934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. E. Baldwin & G. G. Cain, "undated". "Shifts in U.S. Relative Wages: The Role of Trade, Technology, and Factor Endowments," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1132-97, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Baldwin, Robert E & Cain, Glen C, 1997. "Shifts in US Relative Wages: The Role of Trade, Technology and Factor Endowments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1596, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hervé Bonnaz & Nathalie Courtot & Dominique Nivat, 1994. "Le contenu en emplois des échanges industriels de la France avec les pays en développement," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 279(1), pages 13-33.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1996. "In Search of Stolper-Samuelson Effects on U.S. Wages," NBER Working Papers 5427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "Immigration, Trade, and the Labor Market," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number abow91-1.
- Olivier Cortès & Sébastien Jean, 1997. "Quel est l'impact du commerce extérieur sur la productivité et l'emploi ?," Working Papers 1997-08, CEPII research center.
- Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 1997.
"Strategic Trade Policy When Firms Have Different Efficiency Levels,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C Montagna, "undated". "Strategic Trade Policy When Firms Have Different Efficiency Levels," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 070, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Matthew J. Slaughter, 1998. "What Are the Results of Product-Price Studies and What Can We Learn From Their Differences?," NBER Working Papers 6591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olivier Cortes & Sébastien Jean, 1997. "Les échanges internationaux modifient la demande de travail," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 301(1), pages 45-50.
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Friedman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1997. "How Much Do Immigration and Trade Affect Labor Market Outcomes?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1), pages 1-90.
- Olivier Cortes & Sébastien Jean, 1994. "Comment mesurer l'impact du commerce international sur l'emploi ? Une note méthodologique," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 279(1), pages 3-11.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8533. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.