The new automobile modular platforms: from the product architecture to the manufacturing network approach
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Jesús Lampón & P. Cabanelas & Vincent Frigant, 2017. "The new automobile modular platforms: from the product architecture to the manufacturing network approach," Working Papers hal-02150620, HAL.
- Vincent Frigant & J.F Lampon & P. Cabanelas, 2017. "The new automobile modular platforms: from the product architecture to the manufacturing network approach?," Post-Print hal-02150377, HAL.
References listed on IDEAS
- Linda Allen & Christos Pantzalis, 1996. "Valuation of the operating Flexibility of Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 27(4), pages 633-653, December.
- Arghya Ghosh & Hodaka Morita, 2002. "Differentiated duopoly under vertical relationships with communication costs," Industrial Organization 0207008, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vincent Frigant, 2011.
"Are carmakers on the wrong track? Too much outsourcing in an imperfect-modular industry can be harmful,"
International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 22(4), pages 324-343.
- Vincent Frigant, 2011. "Are carmakers on the wrong track? Too much outsourcing in an imperfect-modular industry can be harmful," Post-Print hal-00652241, HAL.
- Gawer, Annabelle, 2014. "Bridging differing perspectives on technological platforms: Toward an integrative framework," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1239-1249.
- Rudberg, Martin & Olhager, Jan, 2003. "Manufacturing networks and supply chains: an operations strategy perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 29-39, February.
- Cusumano, Michael A. & Nobeoka, Kentaro, 1992. "Strategy, structure and performance in product development: Observations from the auto industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 265-293, June.
- Alain Patchong & Thierry Lemoine & Gilles Kern, 2003. "Improving Car Body Production at PSA Peugeot Citroën," Interfaces, INFORMS, vol. 33(1), pages 36-49, February.
- Subramanian Rangan, 1998. "Do Multinationals Operate Flexibly? Theory and Evidence," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(2), pages 217-237, June.
- Peter J. Buckley & Mark C. Casson, 2003. "Models of the multinational enterprise," Chapters, in: Thomas L. Brewer & Stephen Young & Stephen E. Guisinger (ed.), The New Economic Analysis of Multinationals, chapter 2, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bernhard Fleischmann & Sonja Ferber & Peter Henrich, 2006. "Strategic Planning of BMW’s Global Production Network," Interfaces, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 194-208, June.
- Mario Sergio Salerno, 2001. "The characteristics and the role of modularity in the automotive business," International Journal of Automotive Technology and Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 92-107.
- Carliss Y. Baldwin & Kim B. Clark, 2000. "Design Rules, Volume 1: The Power of Modularity," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262024667, September.
- Langlois, Richard N. & Robertson, Paul L., 1992. "Networks and innovation in a modular system: Lessons from the microcomputer and stereo component industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 297-313, August.
- Markus C. Becker & Francesco Zirpoli, 2003. "Organising new product development Knowledge hollowing-out and knowledge integration," DRUID Working Papers 03-05, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Tony W Tong & Jeffrey J Reuer, 2007. "Real options in multinational corporations: organizational challenges and risk implications," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(2), pages 215-230, March.
- Akira Takeishi, 2002. "Knowledge Partitioning in the Interfirm Division of Labor: The Case of Automotive Product Development," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 321-338, June.
- Sendil K. Ethiraj & Daniel Levinthal & Rishi R. Roy, 2008. "The Dual Role of Modularity: Innovation and Imitation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(5), pages 939-955, May.
- Sihem Benmahmoud-Jouini & Sylvain Lenfle, 2010. "Platform re-use lessons from the automotive industry," Post-Print hal-00541292, HAL.
- John Paul MacDuffie & Kannan Sethuraman & Marshall L. Fisher, 1996. "Product Variety and Manufacturing Performance: Evidence from the International Automotive Assembly Plant Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 350-369, March.
- Bruce Kogut & Nalin Kulatilaka, 1994. "Operating Flexibility, Global Manufacturing, and the Option Value of a Multinational Network," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 123-139, January.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Sihem Ben Mahmoud-Jouini & Sylvain Lenfle, 2010. "Platform re-use : lessons from the automotive industry," Post-Print hal-00483039, HAL.
- Thomas Klier & James Rubenstein, 2008. "Who Really Made Your Car? Restructuring and Geographic change in the Auto Industry," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number wrmyc, January-J.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Jesús F. Lampón & Pablo Cabanelas & Javier González Benito, 2015. "The impact of implementation of a modular platform strategy in automobile manufacturing networks," Working Papers. Collection B: Regional and sectoral economics 1502, Universidade de Vigo, GEN - Governance and Economics research Network.
- Nicholas Burton & Peter Galvin, 2020. "Component complementarity and transaction costs: the evolution of product design," Review of Managerial Science, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 845-867, August.
- Rodolphe Durand & Robert M. Grant & Tammy L. Madsen & Lenos Trigeorgis & Jeffrey J. Reuer, 2017. "Real options theory in strategic management," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 42-63, January.
- Tailan Chi & Jing Li & Lenos G Trigeorgis & Andrianos E Tsekrekos, 2019. "Real options theory in international business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 50(4), pages 525-553, June.
- Anna Cabigiosu, 2018. "When do modular dominant designs emerge? A theoretical framework," Working Papers 05, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Elango, B., 2010. "Influence of industry type on the relationship between international operations and risk," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 303-309, March.
- Vincent FRIGANT & Stéphanie PERES & Stéphane VIROL, 2012. "How do SMEs to rise at the top of the supply chain? An econometric exploration of the French auto industry (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA (2007-2019) 2012-16, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée (GREThA).
- Li, Jing & Rugman, Alan M., 2007. "Real options and the theory of foreign direct investment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 687-712, December.
- Rahul Kapoor, 2013. "Persistence of Integration in the Face of Specialization: How Firms Navigated the Winds of Disintegration and Shaped the Architecture of the Semiconductor Industry," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 1195-1213, August.
- Aabo, Tom & Ploeen, Rasmus, 2014. "The German humpback: Internationalization and foreign exchange hedging," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 114-129.
- Aabo, Tom & Pantzalis, Christos & Park, Jung Chul, 2016. "Multinationality as real option facilitator — Illusion or reality?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 1-17.
- HoWook Shin & Seung-Hyun Lee, 2019. "Economic crisis, intra-MNC production shifts and MNC performance from a network perspective," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 185-217, March.
- Nguyen, Quyen T.K. & Kim, Sylvia, 2020. "The multinationality and performance relationship: Revisiting the literature and exploring the implications," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(2).
- Driouchi, Tarik & Bennett, David, 2011. "Real options in multinational decision-making: Managerial awareness and risk implications," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 205-219, April.
- Andersen, Torben Juul, 2012. "Multinational risk and performance outcomes: Effects of knowledge intensity and industry context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 239-252.
- Jesús F. Lampón & Pablo Cabanelas-Lorenzo & Santiago Lago-Peñas, 2013. "Why firms relocate their production overseas? The answer lies inside: corporate, logistic and technological determinants," Working Papers 2013/3, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Vincent FRIGANT, 2013. "Une comparaison de l’internationalisation des chaînes d’approvisionnement automobiles allemande et française," Cahiers du GREThA (2007-2019) 2013-09, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée (GREThA).
- Aoki, Katsuki & Staeblein, Thomas, 2018. "Monozukuri capability and dynamic product variety: An analysis of the design-manufacturing interface at Japanese and German automakers," Technovation, Elsevier, vol. 70, pages 33-45.
- Lampón, Jesús F. & Cabanelas, Pablo & Carballo-Cruz, Francisco, 2017. "A model for international production relocation: Multinationals' operational flexibility and requirements at production plant level," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 95-101.
- Chung, Chris Changwha & Lee, Seung-Hyun & Beamish, Paul W. & Southam, Colette & Nam, Daeil (Dale), 2013. "Pitting real options theory against risk diversification theory: International diversification and joint ownership control in economic crisis," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 122-136.
More about this item
KeywordsAutomobile industry; Manufacturing network; Product architecture; Modular platforms; Modularity;
All these keywords.
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment; Related Parts and Equipment
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
- M16 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Business Administration - - - International Business Administration
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:79160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.