Bridging differing perspectives on technological platforms: Toward an integrative framework
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Trajtenberg, M., 1995. "General purpose technologies 'Engines of growth'?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 83-108, January.
- Langlois, Richard N., 2002. "Modularity in technology and organization," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 19-37, September.
- V. Krishnan & Saurabh Gupta, 2001. "Appropriateness and Impact of Platform-Based Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 52-68, January.
- Kevin J. Boudreau & Andrei Hagiu, 2009. "Platform Rules: Multi-Sided Platforms as Regulators," Chapters,in: Platforms, Markets and Innovation, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jean‐Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2006. "Two‐sided markets: a progress report," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 645-667, September.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Triole, Jean, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Hirofumi Tatsumoto & Koichi Ogawa & Takahiro Fujimoto, 2009. "The Effect of Technological Platforms on the International Division of Labor: A Case Study of Intel’s Platform Business in the PC Industry," Chapters,in: Platforms, Markets and Innovation, chapter 14 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2002. "Modular production networks: a new American model of industrial organization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 451-496, June.
- David J. Teece, 2003.
"Towards an Economic Theory of the Multiproduct Firm,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Essays In Technology Management And Policy Selected Papers of David J Teece, chapter 15, pages 419-446
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Teece, David J., 1982. "Towards an economic theory of the multiproduct firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 39-63, March.
- Ahrne, Göran & Brunsson, Nils, 2005. "Organizations and meta-organizations," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 429-449, December.
- David S. Evans & Andrei Hagiu & Richard Schmalensee, 2008.
"Invisible Engines: How Software Platforms Drive Innovation and Transform Industries,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550687, January.
- David S. Evans & Andrei Hagiu & Richard Schmalensee, 2006. "Invisible Engines: How Software Platforms Drive Innovation and Transform Industries," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262050854, January.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-328, Summer.
- Geoffrey G. Parker & Marshall W. Van Alstyne, 2005. "Two-Sided Network Effects: A Theory of Information Product Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(10), pages 1494-1504, October.
- Marc Rysman, 2009. "The Economics of Two-Sided Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 125-143, Summer.
- Thomas R. Eisenmann & Geoffrey Parker & Marshall Van Alstyne, 2009. "Opening Platforms: How, When and Why?," Chapters,in: Platforms, Markets and Innovation, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Annabelle Gawer, 2009. "Platforms, Markets and Innovation: An Introduction," Chapters,in: Platforms, Markets and Innovation, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kevin Boudreau, 2010. "Open Platform Strategies and Innovation: Granting Access vs. Devolving Control," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(10), pages 1849-1872, October.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Technology Adoption in the Presence of Network Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 822-841, August.
- Sanderson, Susan & Uzumeri, Mustafa, 1995. "Managing product families: The case of the Sony Walkman," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 761-782, September.
- Kenneth C. Wilbur, 2008. "A Two-Sided, Empirical Model of Television Advertising and Viewing Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(3), pages 356-378, 05-06.
- Carliss Y. Baldwin & C. Jason Woodard, 2009. "The Architecture of Platforms: A Unified View," Chapters,in: Platforms, Markets and Innovation, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Sendil K. Ethiraj & Daniel Levinthal & Rishi R. Roy, 2008. "The Dual Role of Modularity: Innovation and Imitation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(5), pages 939-955, May.
- Langlois, Richard N. & Robertson, Paul L., 1992. "Networks and innovation in a modular system: Lessons from the microcomputer and stereo component industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 297-313, August.
- Annabelle Gawer & Rebecca Henderson, 2007.
"Platform Owner Entry and Innovation in Complementary Markets: Evidence from Intel,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 1-34, March.
- Annabelle Gawer & Rebecca Henderson, 2005. "Platform Owner Entry and Innovation in Complementary Markets: Evidence from Intel," NBER Working Papers 11852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefano Brusoni & Andrea Prencipe, 2009. "Design Rules for Platform Leaders," Chapters,in: Platforms, Markets and Innovation, chapter 12 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Annabelle Gawer, 2009. "Platform Dynamics and Strategies: From Products to Services," Chapters,in: Platforms, Markets and Innovation, chapter 3 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-272, May.
- Carliss Y. Baldwin, 2008. "Where do transactions come from? Modularity, transactions, and the boundaries of firms," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 155-195, February.
- Evans David S., 2003. "Some Empirical Aspects of Multi-sided Platform Industries," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 1-19, September.
- Clark, Kim B., 1985. "The interaction of design hierarchies and market concepts in technological evolution," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 235-251, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Claude Paraponaris, 2017. "Plateformes numériques, conception ouverte et emploi," Post-Print halshs-01614430, HAL.
- de Reuver, Mark & Sørensen, Carsten & Basole, Rahul C., 2017. "The digital platform: a research agenda," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 80669, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Choia, Goya & Nam, Changi & Kim, Seongcheol, 2017. "The Impacts of Mobile Platform Openness on Application Developers' Intention to Continuously Use a Platform: From an Ecosystem Perspective," 28th European Regional ITS Conference, Passau 2017 169455, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:5:p:734-:d:97388 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kokshagina, Olga & Gillier, Thomas & Cogez, Patrick & Le Masson, Pascal & Weil, Benoit, 2017. "Using innovation contests to promote the development of generic technologies," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 114(C), pages 152-164.
- repec:eee:proeco:v:192:y:2017:i:c:p:54-65 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:bla:stratm:v:38:y:2017:i:1:p:141-160 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:jbrese:v:84:y:2018:i:c:p:196-205 is not listed on IDEAS
- Amel Attour & Pierre Barbaroux, 2015. "Le rôle des processus de connaissances dans le cycle de vie d'un écosystème d'affaires," Post-Print halshs-01244401, HAL.
- repec:wsi:ijitmx:v:14:y:2017:i:05:n:s0219877017500304 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olga Kokshagina & Pascal Le Masson & Benoit Weil, 2015. "Portfolio management in double unknown situations: technological platformsand the role of cross-application managers," Post-Print hal-01199929, HAL.
- Leonid Gitelman & Daniil Sandler & Mikhail Kozhevnikov, 2016. "University Technology Platform of Anticipatory Learning," Economy of region, Centre for Economic Security, Institute of Economics of Ural Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, vol. 1(1), pages 257-266.
- Lampón, Jesús F. & Cabanelas, Pablo & Frigant, Vincent, 2017. "The new automobile modular platforms: from the product architecture to the manufacturing network approach," MPRA Paper 79160, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:bla:stratm:v:38:y:2017:i:13:p:2579-2598 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean Paul Simon, 2016. "How to Catch a Unicorn: An exploration of the universe of tech companies with high market capitalisation," JRC Working Papers JRC100719, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- den Hartigh, Erik & Ortt, J. Roland & van de Kaa, Geerten & Stolwijk, Claire C.M., 2016. "Platform control during battles for market dominance: The case of Apple versus IBM in the early personal computer industry," Technovation, Elsevier, vol. 48, pages 4-12.
- Manning, Stephan & Reinecke, Juliane, 2016. "A modular governance architecture in-the-making: How transnational standard-setters govern sustainability transitions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 618-633.
- Papachristos, George, 2017. "Diversity in technology competition: The link between platforms and sociotechnical transitions," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 291-306.
- Rietveld, G.J. & Eggers, J.P., 2016. "Demand Heterogeneity and the Adoption of Platform Complements," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2016-003-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Sabine Brunswicker & Sorin Adam Matei & Michael Zentner & Lynn Zentner & Gerhard Klimeck, 2017. "Creating impact in the digital space: digital practice dependency in communities of digital scientific innovations," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 110(1), pages 417-442, January.
- Ted Saarikko, 2016. "Platform Provider by Accident," Business & Information Systems Engineering: The International Journal of WIRTSCHAFTSINFORMATIK, Springer;Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI), vol. 58(3), pages 177-191, May.
- Julien Legrand & Pascal Le Masson & Maxime Thomas & Benoît Weil, 2017. "Rise And Fall Of Platforms: Systematic Analysis Of Platform Dynamics Thanks To Axiomatic Design," Post-Print hal-01630672, HAL.
More about this item
KeywordsPlatforms; Double-sided markets; Modularity; Economies of scope; Organizations;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:43:y:2014:i:7:p:1239-1249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.