Influence of industry type on the relationship between international operations and risk
Reducing strategic risk has become an issue of paramount importance to corporations. One way to reduce such risk is through international operations. However, published research reports conflicting findings on the relationship between international operations and risk reduction. In addition, the literature leaves one avenue largely unexplored, namely, industry influence. Using a sample of 367 firms, this study tests for the relationship between internationalization and risk across global and multi-domestic industries. Study findings indicate a negative relationship between risk and internationalization, indicating that firms are benefited by reduced risk through internationalization. Additionally, regression models indicate the incremental rate of benefits due to internationalization is greater in the case of global industries, compared to multi-domestic industries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- David B. Jemison, 1987. "Risk and the Relationship Among Strategy, Organizational Processes, and Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(9), pages 1087-1101, September.
- David M Reeb & Chuck C Y Kwok & H Young Baek, 1998. "Systematic Risk of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 263-279, June.
- Brewer, H. L., 1981. "Investor Benefits from Corporate International Diversification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 113-126, March.
- Daniel Sullivan, 1994. "Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 325-342, June.
- Gooding, Richard Z. & Goel, Sanjay & Wiseman, Robert M., 1996. "Fixed versus variable reference points in the risk-return relationship," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 331-350, March.
- Subramaniam, Mohan & Watson, Sharon, 2006. "How interdependence affects subsidiary performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 916-924, August.
- J Markham Collins, 1990. "A Market Performance Comparison of U.S. Firms Active in Domestic, Developed and Developing Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(2), pages 271-287, June.
- Richard A. Bettis & Vijay Mahajan, 1985. "Risk/Return Performance of Diversified Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(7), pages 785-799, July.
- Goddard, John & Tavakoli, Manouche & Wilson, John O.S., 2009. "Sources of variation in firm profitability and growth," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 495-508, April.
- Wu, Jianfeng & Shanley, Mark T., 2009. "Knowledge stock, exploration, and innovation: Research on the United States electromedical device industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 474-483, April.
- Linda Allen & Christos Pantzalis, 1996. "Valuation of the operating Flexibility of Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 633-653, December.
- Christophe, Stephen E. & Lee, Hun, 2005. "What matters about internationalization: a market-based assessment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 636-643, May.
- Pietra Rivoli & Eugene Salorio, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Investment under Uncertainty," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(2), pages 335-357, June.
- Robert M Grant, 1987. "Multinationality and Performance among British Manufacturing Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(3), pages 79-89, September.
- Tony W Tong & Jeffrey J Reuer, 2007. "Real options in multinational corporations: organizational challenges and risk implications," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(2), pages 215-230, March.
- Petersen, Bent & Welch, Lawrence S., 2002. "Foreign operation mode combinations and internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 157-162, February.
- Thomas, Douglas E., 2006. "International diversification and firm performance in Mexican firms: A curvilinear relationship?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 501-507, April.
- Bruce Kogut & Nalin Kulatilaka, 1994. "Operating Flexibility, Global Manufacturing, and the Option Value of a Multinational Network," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 123-139, January.
- Kwang Chul Lee & Chuck C Y Kwok, 1988. "Multinational Corporations vs. Domestic Corporations: International Environmental Factors and Determinants of Capital Structure," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 195-217, June.
- Mona V Makhija & Kwangsoo Kim & Sandra D Williamson, 1997. "Measuring Globalization of Industries Using a National Industry Approach: Empirical Evidence Across Five Countries and over Time," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(4), pages 679-710, December.
- Subramanian Rangan, 1998. "Do Multinationals Operate Flexibly? Theory and Evidence," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 217-237, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:63:y:2010:i:3:p:303-309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.