The impact of institutional distance on the international diversity-performance relationship
We investigated the impact of institutional distance on the international diversity-performance relationship. We first discussed the international diversity-performance relationship for large multinational firms and later showed the moderation effect of regulative and normative institutional distance. Based on a sample of Fortune 500 firms, we found an inverted U-shaped curve. Regulative institutional distance has a negative moderating effect on the international diversity-performance relationship, while normative institutional distance shows a positive effect.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brock, David M. & Yaffe, Tal & Dembovsky, Mark, 2006. "International diversification and performance: A study of global law firms," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 473-489, December.
- Thomas, Douglas E., 2006. "International diversification and firm performance in Mexican firms: A curvilinear relationship?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 501-507, April.
- Nakiye Boyacigiller, 1990. "The Role of Expatriates in the Management of Interdependence Complexity and Risk in Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(3), pages 357-381, September.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- Robert M Grant, 1987. "Multinationality and Performance among British Manufacturing Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(3), pages 79-89, September.
- Luis R G�mez-Mejia & Leslie E Palich, 1997. "Cultural Diversity and the Performance of Multinational Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(2), pages 309-335, June.
- Farok J Contractor & Sumit K Kundu & Chin-Chun Hsu, 2003. "A three-stage theory of international expansion: the link between multinationality and performance in the service sector," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 5-18, January.
- Pangarkar, Nitin, 2008. "Internationalization and performance of small- and medium-sized enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 475-485, October.
- Beamish, Paul W. & Inkpen, Andrew C., 1998. "Japanese firms and the decline of the Japanese expatriate," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 35-50.
- Chari, Murali D.R. & Devaraj, Sarv & David, Parthiban, 2007. "International diversification and firm performance: Role of information technology investments," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 184-197, June.
- Michael A Witt & Arie Y Lewin, 2007. "Outward foreign direct investment as escape response to home country institutional constraints," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 579-594, July.
- Lilach Nachum, 2004. "Geographic and Industrial Diversification of Developing Country Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 273-294, 03.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Siddharthan, N S & Lall, Sanjaya, 1982. "The Recent Growth of the Largest U.S. Multinationals," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 44(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Cho, Kang Rae & Padmanabhan, Prasad, 2005. "Revisiting the role of cultural distance in MNC's foreign ownership mode choice: the moderating effect of experience attributes," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 307-324, June.
- Chang, Shao-Chi & Wang, Chi-Feng, 2007. "The effect of product diversification strategies on the relationship between international diversification and firm performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 61-79, March.
- Stephen B Tallman, 1988. "Home Country Political Risk and Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 219-234, June.
- Mike Peng & Andrew Delios, 2006. "What determines the scope of the firm over time and around the world? An Asia Pacific perspective," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 385-405, December.
- Peter Buckley & John Dunning & Robert Pearce, 1978. "The influence of firm size, industry, nationality, and degree of multinationality on the growth and profitability of the World’s largest firms, 1962–1972," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 243-257, June.
- J Markham Collins, 1990. "A Market Performance Comparison of U.S. Firms Active in Domestic, Developed and Developing Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(2), pages 271-287, June.
- Errunza, Vihang R & Senbet, Lemma W, 1984. " International Corporate Diversification, Market Valuation, and Size-Adjusted Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 727-43, July.
- Henisz Witold J. & Williamson Oliver E., 1999. "Comparative Economic Organization—Within and Between Countries," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 261-278, December.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2000. "Is Group Affiliation Profitable in Emerging Markets? An Analysis of Diversified Indian Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 867-891, 04.
- Phillip M Rosenzweig & Nitin Nohria, 1994. "Influences on Human Resource Management Practices in Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 229-251, June.
- N Capar & M Kotabe, 2003. "The relationship between international diversification and performance in service firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 345-355, July.
- Contractor, Farok J. & Kumar, Vikas & Kundu, Sumit K., 2007. "Nature of the relationship between international expansion and performance: The case of emerging market firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 401-417, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:45:y:2010:i:1:p:93-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.