A review on the link between nonfarm activities, land and rural livelihoods in Vietnam and developing countries
Although there has been much empirical evidence on the link between nonfarm employment, land and rural livelihoods, few studies have reviewed this relationship, given the context of land shrinking due to urbanisation and industrialisation in developing countries and Vietnam. Thus, this paper reviewed recently empirical evidence on this link in the context of increasing land loss to urbanisation and industrialisation in some developing countries and Vietnam. It was found that while land is of great importance to a number of countries, it seems to be less important to others. Land shortage can be a positive factor encouraging rural households' participation in nonfarm activities and improving their welfare in countries in which non-farm job opportunities are available to a large part of the population. Nevertheless, this can negatively affect rural household livelihoods in countries lacking such non-farm jobs. In the case of Vietnam, both farmland and nonfarm activities provided vital sources of livelihoods for rural households. In addition, in Vietnam's peri-urban areas where more and more farmland has been lost to rapid urbanisation and industrialisation, nonfarm employment was found to help households reduce their livelihood dependence on farmland and improve their welfare.
|Date of creation:||20 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:||17 Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nguyen, Viet & McGrath, Tim & Pamela, White, 2006. "Agricultural Land Distribution in Vietnam: Emerging Issues and Policy Implications," MPRA Paper 25587, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barrett, C. B. & Reardon, T. & Webb, P., 2001. "Nonfarm income diversification and household livelihood strategies in rural Africa: concepts, dynamics, and policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 315-331, August.
- Bryceson, Deborah Fahy, 1996. "Deagrarianization and rural employment in sub-Saharan Africa: A sectoral perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 97-111, January.
- Winters, Paul & Davis, Benjamin & Carletto, Gero & Covarrubias, Katia & Quiñones, Esteban J. & Zezza, Alberto & Azzarri, Carlo & Stamoulis, Kostas, 2009. "Assets, Activities and Rural Income Generation: Evidence from a Multicountry Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1435-1452, September.
- Trung Thanh Nguyen, 2012. "Land Reform and Farm Production in the Northern Uplands of Vietnam," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 43-61, 03.
- Dominique van de Walle & Dorothyjean Cratty, 2004.
"Is the emerging non-farm market economy the route out of poverty in Vietnam?,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(2), pages 237-274, 06.
- Van der Walle, Dominique & Cratty, Dorothyjean, 2003. "Is the emerging nonfarm market economy the route out of poverty in Vietnam?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2950, The World Bank.
- Frank Ellis, 1998. "Household strategies and rural livelihood diversification," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 1-38.
- Ellis, Frank & Bahiigwa, Godfrey, 2003. "Livelihoods and Rural Poverty Reduction in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 997-1013, June.
- Gero Carletto & Katia Covarrubias & Benjamin Davis & Marika Krausova & Kostas Stamoulis & Paul Winters & Alberto Zezza, 2007. "Rural income generating activities in developing countries: re-assessing the evidence," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 4(1), pages 146-193.
- Bryceson, Deborah Fahy, 2002. "The Scramble in Africa: Reorienting Rural Livelihoods," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 725-739, May.
- Davis, Junior, 2006.
"Rural Non-farm Livelihoods in Transition Economies: Emerging Issues and Policies,"
eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 3(2).
- Junior Davis, 2006. "Rural non-farm livelihoods in transition economies: emerging issues and policies," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 3(2), pages 180-224.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966, March.
- Tran, Tuyen & Lim, Steven & Cameron, Michael P. & Vu, Huong, 2013. "Farmland loss and livelihood outcomes: A microeconometric analysis of household surveys in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 48795, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hans G. P. Jansen & John Pender & Amy Damon & Willem Wielemaker & Rob Schipper, 2006. "Policies for sustainable development in the hillside areas of Honduras: a quantitative livelihoods approach," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 34(2), pages 141-153, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:55850. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.