A model for estimation of the demand for on-street parking
This paper presents a stylized econometric model for the demand for on-street parking with focus on estimation of the elasticity of demand with respect to the full cost of parking. The full cost of parking consists of a parking fee and the cost of searching for a vacant parking space (cruising). The cost of cruising is usually unobserved. Ignoring this issue implies a downward bias of the elasticity of demand with respect to the total cost of parking since the cost of cruising depends on the number of cars parked. We also demonstrate that, even when the cost of cruising is unobserved, the demand elasticity can be identified by extending the econometric model to include the spatial interaction between the parking facilities. We illustrate the model with on-street parking data from Copenhagen and find indications of a somewhat greater parking demand elasticity than is usually reported in the literature.
|Date of creation:||16 Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Arnott & Tilmann Rave & Ronnie Schöb, 2005. "Alleviating Urban Traffic Congestion," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012197, September.
- repec:ucp:bkecon:9781884829987 is not listed on IDEAS
- Verhoef, Erik & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1995. "The economics of regulatory parking policies: The (IM)possibilities of parking policies in traffic regulation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 141-156, March.
- Calthrop, Edward & Proost, Stef, 2006.
"Regulating on-street parking,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 29-48, January.
- Edward Calthrop & Stef Proost, 2002. "Regulating on-street parking," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0202, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Edward Calthrop & Stef Proost, 2004. "Regulating on-street parking," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0410, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Arnott, Richard & Inci, Eren, 2006.
"An integrated model of downtown parking and traffic congestion,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 418-442, November.
- Richard Arnott & Eren Inci, 2005. "An Integrated Model of Downtown Parking and Traffic Congestion," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 608, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Richard Arnott & Eren Inci, 2005. "An Integrated Model of Downtown Parking and Traffic Congestion," NBER Working Papers 11118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Arnott, 1990.
"A Temporal and Spatial Equilibrium Analysis of Commuter Parking,"
884, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1991. "A temporal and spatial equilibrium analysis of commuter parking," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 301-335, August.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1993. "A Structural Model of Peak-Period Congestion: A Traffic Bottleneck with Elastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 161-179, March.
- Mogens Fosgerau & André De Palma, 2012.
"The dynamics of urban traffic congestion and the price of parking,"
- Fosgerau, Mogens & de Palma, André, 2013. "The dynamics of urban traffic congestion and the price of parking," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 106-115.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre, 2004. "The economics of pricing parking," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Steve Gibbons & Henry G. Overman, 2010.
"Mostly Pointless Spatial Econometrics?,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0061, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Arnott, Richard & Inci, Eren & Rowse, John, 2015.
"Downtown curbside parking capacity,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 83-97.
- Richard Arnott & Eren Inci & John Rowse, "undated". "Downtown Curbside Parking Capacity," Working Papers 201303, University of California at Riverside, Department of Economics.
- Richard J. Arnott & Eren Inci & John Rowse, 2013. "Downtown Curbside Parking Capacity," CESifo Working Paper Series 4085, CESifo Group Munich.
- Marsden, Greg, 2006. "The evidence base for parking policies--a review," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 447-457, November.
- Kelly, J. Andrew & Clinch, J. Peter, 2009. "Temporal variance of revealed preference on-street parking price elasticity," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 193-199, August.
- Hensher, David A. & King, Jenny, 2001. "Parking demand and responsiveness to supply, pricing and location in the Sydney central business district," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 177-196, March.
- Glazer, Amihai & Niskanen, Esko, 2001.
"Parking fees and congestion,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt9h51t02k, University of California Transportation Center.
- Lee, Lung-fei, 2007. "Identification and estimation of econometric models with group interactions, contextual factors and fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 333-374, October.
- Fosgerau, Mogens & de Palma, André, 2013. "The dynamics of urban traffic congestion and the price of parking�," MPRA Paper 48433, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:52301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.