The economics of regulatory parking policies: The (IM)possibilities of parking policies in traffic regulation
This article contains an economic analysis of regulatory parking policies as a substitute to road pricing. The scope for such policies is discussed, after which a simple diagrammatic analysis is presented, focusing on the differences between the use of parking fees and physical restrictions on parking space supply. The former is found to be superior for three reasons: an information argument, a temporal efficiency argument and an intertemporal efficiency argument. Finally, a spatial parking model is developed, showing that it may be possible to overcome the difficulty of regulatory parking policies not differentiating according to distance driven by specifying the appropriate spatial pattern of parking fees, making individuals respond to (spatial) parking fee differentials.
Volume (Year): 29 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Himanen, Veli & Nijkamp, Peter & Padjen, Juraj, 1992.
"Environmental quality and transport policy in Europe,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 147-157, March.
- Himanen, V. & Nijkamp, P. & Padjen, J., 1991. "Environmental quality and transport policy in Europe," Serie Research Memoranda 0097, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Evans, Alan W, 1992. "Road Congestion: The Diagrammatic Analysis: Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 211-17, February.
- Glazer, Amihai & Niskanen, Esko, 2001.
"Parking fees and congestion,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt9h51t02k, University of California Transportation Center.
- Fujita,Masahisa, 1989.
"Urban Economic Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521346627, June.
- F. H. Knight, 1924. "Some Fallacies in the Interpretation of Social Cost," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(4), pages 582-606.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1980. "Theories of urban externalities," MPRA Paper 24614, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:29:y:1995:i:2:p:141-156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.