An Integrated Model of Downtown Parking and Traffic Congestion
This paper presents a downtown parking model that integrates traffic congestion and saturated on-street parking. We assume that the stock of cars cruising for parking adds to traffic congestion. Two major results come out from the model, one of which is robust. The robust one is that, whether or not the amount of on-street parking is optimal, it is efficient to raise the on-street parking fee to the point where cruising for parking is eliminated without parking becoming unsaturated. The other is that, if the parking fee is fixed at a sub-optimal level, it is second-best optimal to increase the amount of curbside allocated to parking until cruising for parking is eliminated without parking becoming unsaturated.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published, Journal of Urban Economics, 60, 418-442, 2006.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA|
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glazer, Amihai & Niskanen, Esko, 2001.
"Parking fees and congestion,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt9h51t02k, University of California Transportation Center.
- Westin, Richard B. & Gillen, David W., 1978. "Parking location and transit demand : A case study of endogenous attributes in disaggregate mode choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 75-101, August.
- Richard Arnott, 1990.
"A Temporal and Spatial Equilibrium Analysis of Commuter Parking,"
884, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1991. "A temporal and spatial equilibrium analysis of commuter parking," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 301-335, August.
- Verhoef, Erik T. & Rouwendal, Jan & Rietveld, Piet, 1999.
"Congestion Caused by Speed Differences,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 533-556, May.
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
- repec:ucp:bkecon:9781884829987 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Arnott & John Rowse, 1997.
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
350., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2001. "An Integrated Dynamic Model of Road Traffic Congestion Based on Simple Car-Following Theory: Exploring Hypercongestion," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 505-542, May.
- Edward Calthrop & Stef Proost, 2002.
"Regulating on-street parking,"
Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series
ete0202, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Edward Calthrop & Stef Proost, 2004. "Regulating on-street parking," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0410, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Edward Calthrop, 2001. "When consumers can decide not to pay a tax: enforcing and pricing urban on-street parking space," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0110, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment.
- William C. Wheaton, 1978. "Price-Induced Distortions in Urban Highway Investment," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 622-632, Autumn.
- Richard Arnott & Tilmann Rave & Ronnie Schöb, 2005. "Alleviating Urban Traffic Congestion," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012197, December.
- Arnott, Richard, 1990. "Signalized intersection queuing theory and central business district auto congestion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 197-201, June.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre, 2004. "The economics of pricing parking," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Wilson, John D., 1983. "Optimal road capacity in the presence of unpriced congestion," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 337-357, May.
- Edward Calthrop & Stef Proost & Kurt van Dender, 2000. "Parking Policies and Road Pricing," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 37(1), pages 63-76, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:bocoec:608. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.