CDS, bond spread and sovereign debt crisis in peripherial EU
In the last decade, many economies were marked by the severe financial crises since the Great Depression. The euro area faced considerable economic difficulties and the CDS has become the focal point of the current crisis. The euro sovereign debt crises started in Greece and later on, spread to the other peripherial European countries Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Italy and still continues. This experience address the increasing importance of „fiscal discipline” and the role of European Central Bank (ECB), if ECB with national central banks take on all responsibility in government bond markets, Euro area could be stabilized. Policy makers argue both financial and monetary policies in European Union (EU), and convergence criteria to adopting Euro. This paper aims to determine the relationship between credit default swap (CDS), bond spread and the debt ratio of the countries. In this framework, the interaction between CDS and sovereign bond spreads are examined as a measure of perceived country risk. The focus of the study is to show the role of these two variables on peripherial European countries, during the recent euro sovereign debt crisis.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2011.
"Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
16899, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2011. "Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 59(2), pages 162-194, June.
- Bolton, Patrick & Jeanne, Olivier, 2011. "Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 8358, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marta Gómez-Puig & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2011.
"Causality and contagion in peripheral EMU public debt markets: a dynamic approach,"
Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales
08 ISBN Number: 978-84-69, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- Marta Gómez-Puig & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2011. "Causality and contagion in peripheral EMU public debt markets: A dynamic approach," Working Papers 11-06, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Marta Gómez-Puig & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2011. "Causality and contagion in peripheral EMU public debt markets: a dynamic approach," IREA Working Papers 201116, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Sep 2011.
- Salvador Barrios & Per Iversen & Magdalena Lewandowska & Ralph Setzer, 2009. "Determinants of intra-euro area government bond spreads during the financial crisis," European Economy - Economic Papers 388, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 1996.
"Estimating the price of default risk,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
96-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.