Early warning indicator of economic vulnerability
The initiative to capture the information content behind the rise and fall of the business cycle has popularized the study of leading indicators. Many of the foreign experiences shared by economically advanced countries reveal that the leading indicator approach works well as a short-term forecasting tool. Thus, exploring an indicator-based forecasting tool for business cycle analysis and economic risk monitoring would provide insight into the Malaysian economy as well as that of other emerging countries. By extending the ideology of indicator construction from the US National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), the present study demonstrated the strong potential of the leading indicator approach to be a good gauge of the business cycle movement in addition to being a practical and functional early warning indicator for economic vulnerability prediction.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2005.
"On the Forecasting Properties of the Alternative Leading Indicators for the German GDP: Recent Evidence,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
522, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2006. "On the Forecasting Properties of the Alternative Leading Indicators for the German GDP: Recent Evidence," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 226(3), pages 234-259, May.
- Neftici, Salih N., 1982. "Optimal prediction of cyclical downturns," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 225-241, November.
- Michael Meow-Chung Yap, 2009. "Assessing Malaysia’s Business Cycle indicators," Monash Economics Working Papers 04-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Issler, João Victor & Notini, Hilton Hostalacio & Rodrigues, Claudia Fontoura, 2012.
"Constructing coincident and leading indices of economic activity for the Brazilian economy,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
730, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- João Victor Issler & Hilton Hostalacio Notini & Claudia Fontoura Rodrigues, 2012. "Constructing coincident and leading indices of economic activity for the Brazilian economy," OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2012(2), pages 43-65.
- Issler, João Victor & Notini, Hilton Hostalacio & Rodrigues, Claudia Fontoura, 2009. "Constructing coincident and leading indices of economic activity for the brazilian economy," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 694, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Issler, João Victor & Notini, Hilton Hostalacio & Rodrigues, Claudia Fontoura, 2011. "Constructing coincident and leading indices of economic activity for the brazilian economy," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 714, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Miroslav Klúcik & Ján Haluška, 2008. "Construction of composite leading indicator for the Slovak economy," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 55, pages 363-370, November.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1976. "Optimality of Sluggish Predictors under Ergodic Probabilities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(1), pages 1-7, February.
- Wolfgang Polasek, 2010. "Dating and Exploration of the Business Cycle in Iceland," Working Paper Series 13_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Diebold, Francis X & Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1989.
"Scoring the Leading Indicators,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 369-91, July.
- Geoffrey H. Moore & Victor Zarnowitz, 1986. "Appendix A: The Development and Role of the National Bureau of Economic Research's Business Cycle Chronologies," NBER Chapters, in: The American Business Cycle: Continuity and Change, pages 735-780 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stan du Plessis, 2006. "Business Cycles in Emerging market Economies: A New View of the Stylised Facts," Working Papers 02/2006, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Aslihan Atabek & Evren Erdogan Cosar & Saygin Sahinöz, 2005. "A New Composite Leading Indicator for Turkish Economic Activity," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(1), pages 45-64, January.
- Vincent, BODART & Konstantin A., KHOLODILIN & Fati, SHADMAN-MEHTA, 2003. "Dating and Forecasting the Belgian Business Cycle," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2003018, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Stephen Everhart & Robert Duval-Hernandez, 2001. "Short Term Macro Monitoring: Leading Indicator Construction-Mexico," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0108, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Everhart, Stephen S. & Duval-Hernandez, Robert, 2000. "Leading indicator project - Lithuania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2365, The World Bank.
- Wesley Clair Mitchell & Arthur F. Burns, 1938. "Statistical Indicators of Cyclical Revivals," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number mitc38-1, March.
- Wong, Shirly Siew-Ling & Abu Mansor, Shazali & Puah, Chin-Hong & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen, 2012. "Forecasting malaysian business cycle movement: empirical evidence from composite leading indicator," MPRA Paper 36649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Greer, Mark, 2003. "Directional accuracy tests of long-term interest rate forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 291-298.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39944. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.