The increasing service intensity of European manufacturing
This paper investigates the impact of the increase in service output on the demand for different categories of service occupations in the EU manufacturing sector. Furthermore, we investigate the impact of the global sourcing of producer services on the demand for different service occupations. Using fixed-effects models based on the manufacturing sector for 18 EU countries for the period 1995-2008, we find that the employment share of service occupations is significantly and positively related to the output share of producer services in manufacturing. In particular, the increase in the output share of services accounts for an average of 13 percent of the increase in the share of service occupations. When service occupations are disaggregated by different categories, we find that the output share of services is significantly and positively related to the share of managers, professionals, and technicians. In contrast, service occupations involving clerks, administrative support, and other office-related personnel do not benefit from increasing service revenues. Finally, professionals and technicians are complementary to intermediate producer services (either from domestic or foreign suppliers), while clerks do not benefit from the rise in intermediate service inputs in manufacturing.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Abramovsky & Rachel Griffith, 2005.
"Outsourcing and offshoring of business services: how important is ICT?,"
IFS Working Papers
W05/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Laura Abramovsky & Rachel Griffith, 2006. "Outsourcing and Offshoring of Business Services: How Important is ICT?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 594-601, 04-05.
- Marina Doroshenko & Ian Miles & Dmitry Vinogradov, 2014.
"Knowledge Intensive business services: the Russian experience,"
CyberLeninka;Федеральное государственное автономное образовательное учреждение высшего образования «Национальный исследовательский университет «Высшая школа экономики», vol. 8(4 (eng)), pages 24-39.
- Marina Doroshenko & Ian Miles & Dmitry Vinogradov, 2014. "Knowledge Intensive Business Services: The Russian Experience," Foresight-Russia, National Research University Higher School of Economics, vol. 8(4), pages 24-39.
- Ina Drejer, 2002. "Business Services as a Production Factor," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 389-405.
- J. Jensen, 2008. "Trade in High-Tech Services," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 181-197, December.
- Desireé van Welsum & Xavier Reif, 2009.
"We Can Work It Out: The Globalization of ICT-Enabled Services,"
in: International Trade in Services and Intangibles in the Era of Globalization, pages 289-325
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Desiree Welsum & Xavier Reif, 2007. "We Can Work It Out - The Globalisation of ICT-enabled Services," Working Papers id:802, eSocialSciences.
- Arjan Lejour & Peter Smith, 2008. "International Trade in Services—Editorial Introduction," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 169-180, December.
- Vandermerwe, Sandra & Rada, Juan, 1988. "Servitization of business: Adding value by adding services," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 314-324, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007.
"Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
07-045/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 199-229, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," FIW Working Paper series 002, FIW.
- P-Y. Léo & J. Philippe, 2001. "Offer of Services by Goods Exporters: Strategic and Marketing Dimensions," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 91-116, April.
- Dirk Pilat & Anita Wölfl, 2005. "Measuring the Interaction Between Manufacturing and Services," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2005/5, OECD Publishing.
- Alan MacPherson & Vida Vanchan, 2010. "The Outsourcing of Industrial Design Services by Large US Manufacturing Companies," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 3-30, January.
- Mary O'Mahony & Marcel P. Timmer, 2009. "Output, Input and Productivity Measures at the Industry Level: The EU KLEMS Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages F374-F403, 06.
- Alan Macpherson, 2008. "Producer Service Linkages and Industrial Innovation: Results of a Twelve-Year Tracking Study of New York State Manufacturers," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 1-23.
- Lodefalk, Magnus, 2010.
"Servicification of Manufacturing - Evidence from Swedish Firm and Enterprise Group Level Data,"
2010:3, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Magnus Lodefalk, 2013. "Servicification of manufacturing - evidence from Sweden," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(1), pages 87-113.
- Fixler, Dennis J. & Siegel, Donald, 1999. "Outsourcing and productivity growth in services," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 177-194, June.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, 2003.
"What follows tertiarisation? structural change and the role of knowledge-based services,"
The Service Industries Journal,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 47-66, March.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, . "What Follows Tertiarisation? Structural Change and the Role of Knowledge-based Services," WIFO Working Papers 146, WIFO.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Francois, Joseph F, 1990. "Producer Services, Scale, and the Division of Labor," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 715-29, October.
- Sébastien Miroudot & Rainer Lanz & Alexandros Ragoussis, 2009. "Trade in Intermediate Goods and Services," OECD Trade Policy Papers 93, OECD Publishing.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Lee G. Branstetter & C. Fritz Foley & James Harrigan & J. Bradford Jensen & Lori Kletzer & Catherine Mann & Peter K. Schott & Greg C. Wright, 2010. "Report on the State of Available Data for the Study of International Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 16254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eva Pardos & Ana Gómez-Loscos & Fernando Rubiera-Morollón, 2007. "‘Do versus Buy’ Decisions in the Demand for Knowledge Intensive Business Services," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 233-249, April.
- Lourens Broersma & Bart Van Ark, 2007. "Ict, Business Services And Labour Productivity Growth," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(6), pages 433-449.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38600. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.