Servicification of Manufacturing - Evidence from Swedish Firm and Enterprise Group Level Data
The manufacturing industry in industrialised countries is often argued to servicify - use and sell more services - but knowledge is poor. We examine the phenomenon using detailed and com-prehensive micro level data at both the firm and enterprise group level for Sweden (1997-2006). We find that manufacturing is servicifying substantially. Services and qualified services are increasingly characterising in-house activity in manufacturing. The results imply that treat-ing services and manufacturing separately - for instance in trade policy negotiations - may be inappropriate in industrialised countries. Finally, the findings illustrate the value of enterprise group level data when studying structural economic changes.
|Date of creation:||24 Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Örebro University School of Business, SE - 701 82 ÖREBRO, Sweden|
Phone: 019-30 30 00
Fax: 019-33 25 46
Web page: http://www.oru.se/Institutioner/Handelshogskolan-vid-Orebro-universitet/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCarthy, Ian & Anagnostou, Angela, 2004. "The impact of outsourcing on the transaction costs and boundaries of manufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 61-71, March.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2006.
"The Effect of Offshoring on Labour Demand: Evidence from Sweden,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2005. "The Effect of Offshoring on Labor Demand: Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series 654, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Bernd Görzig & Andreas Stephan, 2002.
"Outsourcing and Firm-level Performance,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
309, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M, 2002. " Outsourcing, Imports and Labour Demand," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 567-586, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:oruesi:2010_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.