What follows tertiarisation? structural change and the role of knowledge-based services
The rise of the service economy has been the predominant pattern of structural change in the twentieth century. This article investigates the driving forces behind the recent stages of this development. Focusing on international input—output data from the early 1970s to the 1990s, a decomposition analysis separates the quantitative impacts of demand, technology and trade-driven determinants of output growth. Our findings confirm the rise of knowledge-based services as the most dynamic component, thus strengthening the case for ‘quaternarisation’ as a process which is distinctly characterised by the substantial contribution of technological and organisational change to structural development.
Volume (Year): 23 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FSIJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FSIJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feinstein, Charles, 1999. "Structural Change in the Developed Countries during the Twentieth Century," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(4), pages 35-55, Winter.
- Baumol, William J & Blackman, Sue Anne Batey & Wolff, Edward N, 1985.
"Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 806-17, September.
- Baumol, William J. & Batey Blackman, Sue Anne & Wolff, Edward N., 1984. "Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence," Working Papers 84-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- George J. Stigler, 1951. "The Division of Labor is Limited by the Extent of the Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59, pages 185.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995.
"The Growth of Nations,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1732, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "Macroeconomics of Unbalanced Growth: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 150, March.
- Jack High (ed.), 2001. "Competition," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1751, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:servic:v:23:y:2003:i:2:p:47-66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.