Efficient estimation of Markov regime-switching models: An application to electricity wholesale market prices
In this paper we discuss the calibration issues of models built on mean-reverting processes combined with Markov switching. Due to the unobservable switching mechanism, estimation of Markov regime-switching (MRS) models requires inferring not only the model parameters but also the state process values at the same time. The situation becomes more complicated when the individual regimes are independent from each other and at least one of them exhibits temporal dependence (like mean reversion in electricity spot prices). Then the temporal latency of the dynamics in the regimes as to be taken into account. In this paper we propose a method that greatly reduces the computational burden induced by the introduction of independent regimes in MRS models. We perform a simulation study to test the efficiency of the proposed method and apply it to a sample series of wholesale electricity spot prices from the German EEX market. The proposed 3-regime MRS model fits this data well and also contains unique features that allow for useful interpretations of the price dynamics.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Cox & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Stephen A. Ross, 2005.
"A Theory Of The Term Structure Of Interest Rates,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 5, pages 129-164
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2011.
"Goodness-of-fit testing for the marginal distribution of regime-switching models,"
32532, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2010. "Goodness-of-fit testing for regime-switching models," MPRA Paper 22871, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Roberts, Michael R., 2005. "An empirical examination of restructured electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 791-817, September.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2010.
"An empirical comparison of alternate regime-switching models or electricity spot prices,"
20546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2010. "An empirical comparison of alternate regime-switching models for electricity spot prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1059-1073, September.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
- Bierbrauer, Michael & Menn, Christian & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Truck, Stefan, 2007. "Spot and derivative pricing in the EEX power market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 3462-3485, November.
- Rafał Weron, 2009.
"Heavy-tails and regime-switching in electricity prices,"
Mathematical Methods of Operations Research,
Springer;Gesellschaft für Operations Research (GOR);Nederlands Genootschap voor Besliskunde (NGB), vol. 69(3), pages 457-473, July.
- Weron, Rafal, 2008. "Heavy-tails and regime-switching in electricity prices," MPRA Paper 10424, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erlwein, Christina & Benth, Fred Espen & Mamon, Rogemar, 2010. "HMM filtering and parameter estimation of an electricity spot price model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1034-1043, September.
- T M Christensen & A S Hurn & K A Lindsay, 2008.
"It never rains but it pours: Modelling the persistence of spikes in electricity prices,"
NCER Working Paper Series
25, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Timothy Christensen & Stan Hurn & Kenneth Lindsay, 2009. "It Never Rains but it Pours: Modeling the Persistence of Spikes in Electricity Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 25-48.
- Weron, Rafal, 2008. "Market price of risk implied by Asian-style electricity options and futures," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1098-1115, May.
- Kim, C-J., 1991.
"Dynamic Linear Models with Markov-Switching,"
91-8, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Benth, Fred Espen & Cartea, Álvaro & Kiesel, Rüdiger, 2008.
"Pricing forward contracts in power markets by the certainty equivalence principle: Explaining the sign of the market risk premium,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2006-2021, October.
- Fred Espen Benth & Alvaro Cartea & Ruediger Kiesel, 2006. "Pricing Forward Contracts in Power Markets by the Certainty Equivalence Principle: Explaining the Sign of the Market Risk Premium," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0611, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Mount, Timothy D. & Ning, Yumei & Cai, Xiaobin, 2006. "Predicting price spikes in electricity markets using a regime-switching model with time-varying parameters," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 62-80, January.
- Szymon Borak & RafaÅ‚ Weron, 2008.
"A semiparametric factor model for electricity forward curve dynamics,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2008-050, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Borak, Szymon & Weron, Rafal, 2008. "A semiparametric factor model for electricity forward curve dynamics," MPRA Paper 10421, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rafal Weron, 2006. "Modeling and Forecasting Electricity Loads and Prices: A Statistical Approach," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook0601.
- H. Wong & Wai-Cheung Ip & Zhongjie Xie & Xueli Lui, 2003. "Modelling and forecasting by wavelets, and the application to exchange rates," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 537-553.
- De Jong Cyriel, 2006. "The Nature of Power Spikes: A Regime-Switch Approach," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-28, September.
- Trueck, Stefan & Weron, Rafal & Wolff, Rodney, 2007. "Outlier Treatment and Robust Approaches for Modeling Electricity Spot Prices," MPRA Paper 4711, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karakatsani, Nektaria V. & Bunn, Derek W., 2008. "Intra-day and regime-switching dynamics in electricity price formation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1776-1797, July.
- de Jong, C.M. & Huisman, R., 2002. "Option Formulas for Mean-Reverting Power Prices with Spikes," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-96-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1997. " The Stochastic Behavior of Commodity Prices: Implications for Valuation and Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 923-973, July.
- Rafal Weron & Adam Misiorek, 2005. "Modeling and forecasting electricity loads: A comparison," Econometrics 0502004, EconWPA.
- Huisman, Ronald & Mahieu, Ronald, 2003.
"Regime jumps in electricity prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 425-434, September.
- Huisman, R. & Mahieu, R.J., 2001. "Regime Jumps in Electricity Prices," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-48-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Kanamura, Takashi & O[combining macron]hashi, Kazuhiko, 2008. "On transition probabilities of regime switching in electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1158-1172, May.
- Markus Hahn & Sylvia Frühwirth-Schnatter & Jörn Sass, 2009. "Estimating models based on Markov jump processes given fragmented observation series," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 93(4), pages 403-425, December.
- Karakatsani Nektaria V & Bunn Derek W., 2010. "Fundamental and Behavioural Drivers of Electricity Price Volatility," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 14(4), pages 1-42, September.
- Hamilton, James D., 1990. "Analysis of time series subject to changes in regime," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 39-70.
- Gray, Stephen F., 1996.
"Modeling the conditional distribution of interest rates as a regime-switching process,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-62, September.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Gray's 1996 Regime Switching GARCH paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00080, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26628. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.