Copyright and Open Access for Academic Works
In a recent paper, Prof. Steven Shavell (see Shavell, 2009) has argued strongly in favor of eliminating copyright from academic works. Based upon solid economic arguments, Shavell analyses the pros and cons of removal of copyright and in its place to have a pure open access system, in which authors (or more likely their employers) would provide the funds that keep journals in business. In this paper we explore some of the arguments in Shavell’s paper, above all the way in which the distribution of the sources of journal revenue would be altered, and the feasible effects upon the quality of journal content. We propose a slight modification to a pure open access system which may provide for the best of both the copyright and open access worlds.
|Date of creation:||24 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Economic Research on Copyright Issues 7.1(2010): pp. 45-65|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Watt Richard, 2007. "What Can the Economics of Intellectual Property Learn from the Economics of Insurance?," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 677-692, December.
- Gastwirth, Joseph L, 1972. "The Estimation of the Lorenz Curve and Gini Index," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 306-16, August.
- Mark McCabe & Christopher Snyder, 2004. "The Economics of Open-Access Journals," Working Papers 04-18, NET Institute, revised Nov 2004.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Mark J. McCabe & Christopher M. Snyder, 2005. "Open Access and Academic Journal Quality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 453-459, May.
- Jean Heck & Peter Zaleski & Scott Dressler, 2009. "Leading institutional contributors to the elite economic journals," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(17), pages 2191-2196.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24095. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.