The Excellence in Research for Australia Scheme: An Evaluation of the Draft Journal Weights for Economics
In February 2008, the Australian Government announced its intention to develop a new quality and evaluation system for research conducted at the nation’s universities. Although the Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) scheme will utilize several measures to evaluate institutional performance, we have chosen to focus on one element only: the assessment of refereed journal article output based on ERA’s own journal weighting scheme. The ERA weighting scheme will undoubtedly shape the reward structure facing university administrators and individual academics. Our objective is to explore the nature of the ERA weighting scheme for economics, and to demonstrate how it impacts on departmental and individual researcher rankings relative to rankings generated by alternative schemes employed in the economics literature. In order to do so, we utilise data from New Zealand’s economics departments and the draft set of journal weights (DERA) released in August 2008 by ERA officials. Given the similarities between Australia and New Zealand, our findings should have relevance to the Australian scene. As a result, we hope to provide the reader with a better understanding of the type of research activity that influences DERA rankings at both the departmental and individual level.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand, 3240|
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: + 64 7 838 4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Ian King, 2002.
"Quality versus quantity: Ranking research records of economics departments in New Zealand,"
New Zealand Economic Papers,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 97-112.
- Ian King, 2001. "Quality versus quantity: Ranking research records of economics departments in New Zealand," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 240-252.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "European economics: An analysis based on publications in the core journals," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1150-1168, April.
- Yolanda Kodrzycki & Pingkang David Yu, 2005. "New approaches to ranking economics journals," Working Papers 05-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Towe, Jack B & Wright, Donald J, 1995. "Research Published by Australian Economics and Econometrics Departments: 1988-93," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 71(212), pages 8-17, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:1:y:2004:i:4:p:1-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Zimmermann, 2013.
"Academic Rankings with RePEc,"
MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 249, December.
- Joseph Macri & Dipendra Sinha, 2004. "Rankings of Economists in Teaching Economics Departments in Australia, 1988-2000," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 1(4), pages 1-19.
- Frank Neri & Joan R. Rodgers, 2006. "Ranking Australian Economics Departments by Research Productivity," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages S74-S84, 09.
- Joan R. Rodgers & Abbas Valadkhani, 2006. "A Multidimensional Ranking of Australian Economics Departments," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(256), pages 30-43, 03.
- John Gibson, 2000. "Research productivity in New Zealand university economics departments: Comment and update," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 73-87.
- Joseph Macri & Dipendra Sinha, 2010.
"How much influence do economics professors have on rankings? The case of Australia and New Zealand,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(12), pages 1559-1567.
- Sinha, Dipendra & Macri, Joseph, 2007. "How Much Influence Do Economics Professors Have on Rankings? The Case of Australia and New Zealand," MPRA Paper 2885, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gaines Liner & Minesh Amin, 2004. "Methods of ranking economics journals," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 32(2), pages 140-149, June.
- Joan R. Rodgers & Frank Neri, 2007. "Research Productivity Of Australian Academic Economists: Human-Capital And Fixed Effects ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 67-87, 03.
- David Anderson & John Tressler, 2008. "Research output in New Zealand economics departments 2000-2006: A stock approach," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 155-189.
- Joseph Macri & Dipendra Sinha, 2006. "Rankings Methodology for International Comparisons of Institutions and Individuals: an Application to Economics in Australia and New Zealand," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 111-156, 02.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Liebowitz, S J & Palmer, J P, 1984. "Assessing the Relative Impacts of Economic Journals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 77-88, March.
- Richard Pomfret & Liang Choon Wang, 2003. "Evaluating The Research Output Of Australian Universities' Economics Departments," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 418-441, December.
- Joseph Macri & Michael McAleer & Dipendra Sinha, 2010. "On the robustness of alternative rankings methodologies: Australian and New Zealand economics departments, 1988 to 2002," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(10), pages 1257-1268.
- Kodrzycki Yolanda K. & Yu Pingkang, 2006. "New Approaches to Ranking Economics Journals," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-44, August.
- Sinha, Dipendra & Macri, Joseph & McAleer, Michael, 2007. "On the Robustness of Alternative Rankings Methodologies: Australian and New Zealand Economics Departments, 1988-2002," MPRA Paper 2881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jin, Jang C. & Hong, Jin-Heon, 2008. "East Asian rankings of economics departments," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 74-82, February.
- David L. Anderson & John Tressler, 2008. "Research Output in New Zealand Economics Department 2000-2006," Working Papers in Economics 08/05, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:09/07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.