Ranking economists on the basis of many indicators: An alternative approach using RePEc data
In economics the Research Papers in Economics (RePEc) network has become an essential source for the gathering and the spread of both existing and new economic research. Furthermore, it is currently the largest bibliometric database in economic sciences containing 33 different indicators for more than 30,000 economists. Based on this bibliographic information RePEc calculates well-known rankings for authors and academic institutions. We provide some cautionary remarks concerning the interpretation of some provided bibliometric measures in RePEc. Moreover, we show how individual and aggregated rankings can be biased due to the employed ranking methodology. In order to select key indicators describing and assessing research performance of scientist, we propose to apply principal component analysis in this data-rich environment. This approach allows us to assign weights to each indicator prior to aggregation. We illustrate the approach by providing a new overall ranking of economists based on RePEc data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Zimmermann, 2013.
"Academic Rankings with RePEc,"
MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 1-32, December.
- Christian Zimmermann, 2007. "Academic Rankings with RePEc," Working papers 2007-36, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2009.
- Christian Zimmermann, 2012. "Academic rankings with RePEc," Working Papers 2012-023, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:1:y:2004:i:4:p:1-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Juan Dolado & Antonio García-Romero & Gema Zamarro, 2003. "Publishing performance in economics: Spanish rankings (1990-1999)," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 317-317, November.
- Martin Steininger & Bernd Süssmuth, 2005. "Elfenbeinligen und ihre Erfassung: Ein Kommentar und eine neuerliche Messung der Publikationstätigkeit der Wirtschaftsforschungsinstitute im deutschsprachigen Raum: 1989-2003," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(3), pages 409-420, August.
- Courtault, Jean-Michel & Hayek, Naïla & Rimbaux, Eric & Zhu, Tong, 2010. "Research in economics and management in France: A bibliometric study using the h-index," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 329-337, April.
- Jean-Michel Courtault & Naïla Hayek & Eric Rimbaux & Tong Zhu, 2010. "Research in Economics and Management in France: A bibliometric study using the h-index," Post-Print hal-00489936, HAL.
- Frances P. Ruane & Richard S. J. Tol, 2009. "A Hirsch measure for the quality of research supervision, and an illustration with trade economists," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 80(3), pages 613-624, September.
- Frances Ruane & Richard S.J. Tol, 2008. "A Hirsch Measure for the Quality of Research Supervision, and an Illustration with Trade Economists," Papers WP224, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Magnus Henrekson & Daniel Waldenström, 2011. "How Should Research Performance Be Measured? A Study Of Swedish Economists," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(6), pages 1139-1156, December.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Waldenström, Daniel, 2007. "How Should Research Performance be Measured? A Study of Swedish Economists," Working Paper Series 712, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 22 Oct 2009.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Waldenström, Daniel, 2008. "How Should Research Performance Be Measured? A Study of Swedish Economists," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 693, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "European economics: An analysis based on publications in the core journals," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1150-1168, April.
- Robert Hofmeister & Heinrich W. Ursprung, 2008. "Das Handelsblatt Ökonomen-Ranking 2007: Eine kritische Beurteilung," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9(3), pages 254-266, August.
- Glenn Ellison, 2002. "The Slowdown of the Economics Publishing Process," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(5), pages 947-993, October.
- Glenn Ellison, 2000. "The Slowdown of the Economics Publishing Process," NBER Working Papers 7804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kirman, Alan & Dahl, Mogens, 1994. "Economic research in Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 505-522, April.
- Kalaitzidakis, P. & Mamuneas, T.P. & Stengos, T., 2003. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions," Working Papers 2003-8, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Norris, Michael & Oppenheim, Charles, 2007. "Comparing alternatives to the Web of Science for coverage of the social sciences’ literature," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 161-169.
- Gonzalez-Navarro, Marco & Quintana-Domeque, Climent, 2010. "Urban Infrastructure and Economic Development: Experimental Evidence from Street Pavement," IZA Discussion Papers 5346, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Baltagi, Badi H., 2003. "Worldwide Institutional And Individual Rankings In Econometrics Over The Period 1989 1999: An Update," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 165-224, February.
- Costas, Rodrigo & Bordons, María, 2007. "The h-index: Advantages, limitations and its relation with other bibliometric indicators at the micro level," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 193-203.
- repec:jns:jbstat:v:227:y:2007:i:2:p:187-208 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ortega, José Luis & López-Romero, Elena & Fernández, Inés, 2011. "Multivariate approach to classify research institutes according to their outputs: The case of the CSIC's institutes," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 323-332.
- Rolf Ketzler & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009. "Publications: German economic research institutes on track," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 80(1), pages 231-252, July.
- Ketzler, Rolf & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2007. "Publications: German Economic Research Institutes on Track," IZA Discussion Papers 3271, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ketzler, Rolf & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2008. "Publications: German Economic Research Institutes on Track," CEPR Discussion Papers 6665, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Laurent Linnemer, 2003. "Where are the Economists Who Publish? Publication Concentration and Rankings in Europe Based on Cumulative Publications," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1250-1308, December.
- Graves, Philip E & Marchand, James R & Thompson, Randal, 1982. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1131-1141, December.
- David L. Anderson & John Tressler, 2008. "Research Output in New Zealand Economics Department 2000-2006," Working Papers in Economics 08/05, University of Waikato.
- Christian Seiler & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2010. "RePEc â€“ An Independent Platform for Measuring Output in Economics," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(4), pages 72-77, December.
- Hirsch, Barry T, et al, 1984. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Comment [Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 822-826, September.
- Joseph Macri & Dipendra Sinha, 2004. "Rankings of Economists in Teaching Economics Departments in Australia, 1988-2000," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 1(4), pages 1-19.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Liebowitz, S J & Palmer, J P, 1984. "Assessing the Relative Impacts of Economic Journals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 77-88, March.
- Alonso, S. & Cabrerizo, F.J. & Herrera-Viedma, E. & Herrera, F., 2009. "h-Index: A review focused in its variants, computation and standardization for different scientific fields," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 273-289.
- Angelina Keil & Peter Huber, 2004. ""Wo die Luft dünn wird H "- Zur Publikationstätigkeit der Wirtschaftsforschungsinstitute Österreichs und Deutschlands," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(3), pages 363-375, August.
- Frances Ruane & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "Refined (Successive) H-Indices: An Application To Economics In The Republic Of Ireland," Working Papers FNU-130, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Mar 2007.
- Bruno S. Frey & Reiner Eichenberger, 1993. "American and European Economics and Economists," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 185-193, Fall.
- Tom Coupé, 2003. "Revealed Performances: Worldwide Rankings of Economists and Economics Departments, 1990-2000," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1309-1345, December.
- Baltagi, Badi H, 1999. "Applied Econometrics Rankings: 1989-1995," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 423-441, July-Aug.. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:infome:v:6:y:2012:i:3:p:389-402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.