Revealed Performances: Worldwide Rankings of Economists and Economics Departments, 1990-2000
In this paper, I study the production of academic research by economics departments and economists. Worldwide rankings are provided based on both citations and publications. These rankings reveal a dominant position of the United States in the production of economics literature. Over time, however, the extent of this dominance is decreasing. (JEL: A10, A14) Copyright (c) 2003 The European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno S. Frey & Reiner Eichenberger, 1993. "American and European Economics and Economists," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 185-193, Fall.
- Sauer, Raymond D, 1988. "Estimates of the Returns to Quality and Coauthorship in Economic Academia," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 855-66, August.
- Kocher, Martin G. & Sutter, Matthias, 2001.
"The Institutional Concentration of Authors in Top Journals of Economics during the Last Two Decades,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
18183, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Kocher, Martin G & Sutter, Matthias, 2001. "The Institutional Concentration of Authors in Top Journals of Economics during the Last Two Decades," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(472), pages F405-21, June.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, 2003.
"Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Lubrano & Luc Bauwens & Alan Kirman & Camelia Protopopescu, 2003. "Ranking Economics Departments in Europe: A Statistical Approach," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1367-1401, December.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, . "Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1694, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Harris, G T, 1990. "Research Output in Australian University Economics Departments: An Update for 1984-88," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(55), pages 249-59, December.
- R. F. Lucas, 1995. "Contributions to Economics Journals by the Canadian Economics Profession, 1981-90," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 945-60, November.
- Bommer, Rolf & Ursprung, Heinrich W., 1997. "Spieglein, Spieglein an der Wand ...: Eine publikationsanalytische Erfassung der Forschungsleistungen volkswirtschaftlicher Fachbereiche in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz," Discussion Papers, Series II 352, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Jin, Jang C & Yau, Louis, 1999. "Research Productivity of the Economics Profession in East Asia," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 706-10, October.
- Laband, David N & Piette, Michael J, 1994. "The Relative Impacts of Economics Journals: 1970-1990," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 640-66, June.
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:jeurec:v:1:y:2003:i:6:p:1309-1345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.