Revealed Performances: Worldwide Rankings of Economists and Economics Departments, 1990-2000
In this paper, I study the production of academic research by economics departments and economists. Worldwide rankings are provided based on both citations and publications. These rankings reveal a dominant position of the United States in the production of economics literature. Over time, however, the extent of this dominance is decreasing. (JEL: A10, A14) Copyright (c) 2003 The European Economic Association.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, "undated".
"Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1694, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Lubrano & Luc Bauwens & Alan Kirman & Camelia Protopopescu, 2003. "Ranking Economics Departments in Europe: A Statistical Approach," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1367-1401, December.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, 2003. "Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach," CORE Discussion Papers 2003050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- R. F. Lucas, 1995. "Contributions to Economics Journals by the Canadian Economics Profession, 1981-90," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 945-960, November.
- Laband, David N & Piette, Michael J, 1994. "The Relative Impacts of Economics Journals: 1970-1990," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 640-666, June.
- Harris, G T, 1990. "Research Output in Australian University Economics Departments: An Update for 1984-88," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(55), pages 249-259, December.
- Jin, Jang C & Yau, Louis, 1999. "Research Productivity of the Economics Profession in East Asia," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 706-710, October.
- Kocher, Martin G & Sutter, Matthias, 2001.
"The Institutional Concentration of Authors in Top Journals of Economics during the Last Two Decades,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(472), pages 405-421, June.
- Kocher, Martin G. & Sutter, Matthias, 2001. "The Institutional Concentration of Authors in Top Journals of Economics during the Last Two Decades," Munich Reprints in Economics 18183, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sauer, Raymond D, 1988. "Estimates of the Returns to Quality and Coauthorship in Economic Academia," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 855-866, August.
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Bruno S. Frey & Reiner Eichenberger, 1993. "American and European Economics and Economists," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 185-193, Fall.
- Bommer, Rolf & Ursprung, Heinrich W., 1997. "Spieglein, Spieglein an der Wand ...: Eine publikationsanalytische Erfassung der Forschungsleistungen volkswirtschaftlicher Fachbereiche in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz," Discussion Papers, Series II 352, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Kalaitzidakis, P. & Mamuneas, T.P. & Stengos, T., 2003. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions," Working Papers 2003-8, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "European economics: An analysis based on publications in the core journals," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1150-1168, April.
- Marshall H. Medoff, 1996. "A Citation-Based Analysis of Economists and Economics Programs," The American Economist, , vol. 40(1), pages 46-59, March.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:jeurec:v:1:y:2003:i:6:p:1309-1345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.