Rankings of Economics Journals and Departments in India
This paper is the first attempt to rank economics departments of Indian Institutions based on their research output. Two rankings, one based on publications in international journals, and the other based on publications in domestic journals are derived. The rankings based on publications in international journals are obtained using the impact values of 159 journals found in Kalaitzidakis et al. (2003). Rankings based on publications in domestic journals are based on impact values of 20 journals. Since there are no published studies on ranking of domestic journals, we derived the rankings of domestic journals by using the iterative method suggested in Kalaitzidakis et al. (2003). The department rankings are constructed using two approaches namely, the â€˜flow approachâ€™ and the â€˜stock approachâ€™. Under the â€˜flow approachâ€™ the rankings are based on the total output produced by a particular department over a period of time while under the â€˜stock approachâ€™ the rankings are based on the publication history of existing faculty members in an institution. From these rankings the trend of research work and the growth of the department of a university are studied. [WP-2010-021]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalaitzidakis, P. & Mamuneas, T.P. & Stengos, T., 2003. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions," Working Papers 2003-8, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Jin, Jang C & Yau, Louis, 1999. "Research Productivity of the Economics Profession in East Asia," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 706-10, October.
- Laband, David N & Piette, Michael J, 1994. "The Relative Impacts of Economics Journals: 1970-1990," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 640-66, June.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "European economics: An analysis based on publications in the core journals," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1150-1168, April.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- R. F. Lucas, 1995. "Contributions to Economics Journals by the Canadian Economics Profession, 1981-90," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 945-60, November.
- Kirman, Alan & Dahl, Mogens, 1994. "Economic research in Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 505-522, April.
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Liebowitz, S J & Palmer, J P, 1984. "Assessing the Relative Impacts of Economic Journals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 77-88, March.
- Scott, Loren C & Mitias, Peter M, 1996. "Trends in Rankings of Economics Departments in the U.S.: An Update," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(2), pages 378-400, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:3116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.