Bayesian VAR Models for Forecasting Irish Inflation
In this paper we focus on the development of multiple time series models for forecasting Irish Inflation. The Bayesian approach to the estimation of vector autoregressive (VAR) models is employed. This allows the estimated models combine the evidence in the data with any prior information which may also be available. A large selection of inflation indicators are assessed as potential candidates for inclusion in a VAR. The results confirm the significant improvement in forecasting performance which can be obtained by the use of Bayesian techniques. In general, however, forecasts of inflation contain a high degree of uncertainty. The results are also consistent with previous research in the Central Bank of Ireland which stresses a strong role for the exchange rate and foreign prices as a determinant of Irish prices.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland Technical Paper Series 4/RT/98.1998(1998): pp. 1-37|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May.
- Callan, Tim & FitzGerald, John, 1989. "Price Determination in Ireland: Effects of Changes in Exchange Rates and Exchange Rate Regimes," Papers ME179, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Kenny, Geoff & McGettigan, Donal, 1997. "A Monetary Approach to the Analysis of Inflation in Ireland," Research Technical Papers 4/RT/97, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1984. "Forecasting and policy analysis with Bayesian vector autoregression models," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Meyler, Aidan & Kenny, Geoff & Quinn, Terry, 1998.
"Forecasting irish inflation using ARIMA models,"
11359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Feldstein, 1996.
"The Costs and Benefits of Going from Low Inflation to Price Stability,"
NBER Working Papers
5469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin S. Feldstein, 1997. "The Costs and Benefits of Going from Low Inflation to Price Stability," NBER Chapters, in: Reducing Inflation: Motivation and Strategy, pages 123-166 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dotsey, Michael & Ireland, Peter, 1996.
"The welfare cost of inflation in general equilibrium,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 29-47, February.
- Michael Dotsey & Peter Ireland, 1994. "The welfare cost of inflation in general equilibrium," Working Paper 94-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Victor Zarnowitz & Phillip Braun, 1992.
"Twenty-two Years of the NBER-ASA Quarterly Economic Outlook Surveys: Aspects and Comparisons of Forecasting Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
3965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor Zarnowitz & Phillip Braun, 1993. "Twenty-two Years of the NBER-ASA Quarterly Economic Outlook Surveys: Aspects and Comparisons of Forecasting Performance," NBER Chapters, in: Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting, pages 11-94 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberola, Enrique & Tyrväinen, Timo, 1998.
"Is There Scope for Inflation Differentials in EMU? An Empirical Evaluation of the Balassa-Samuelson Model in EMU Countries,"
Research Discussion Papers
15/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Enrique Alberola-Ila & Tymo Tyrväinen, 1998. "Is there Scope for Inflation Differentials in EMU? An Empirical Evaluation of the Balassa-Samuelson Model in EMU Countries," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 9823, Banco de Espa�a.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1983.
"Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions,"
NBER Working Papers
1202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1986. "Forecasting and conditional projection using realistic prior distribution," Staff Report 93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kenny, Geoff & McGettigan, Donal, 1999. "Modelling Traded, Non-traded and Aggregate Inflation in a Small Open Economy: The Case of Ireland," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(1), pages 60-88, January.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1995.
"Inflation Indicators and Inflation Policy,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1995, Volume 10, pages 189-236
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen K. McNees, 1986. "The accuracy of two forecasting techniques: some evidence and an interpretation," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Mar, pages 20-31.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11360. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.