Market Access Limitations of the Philippines in the EU Market
Nontariff measures are everywhere vilified for preventing exports, especially of agriculture, from developing countries. Philippine exporters seem to be taking things in stride, however. The paper estimates the cost of certification regularly borne by a typical Philippine food exporter to be less than three percent of sales, a relatively inconsequential ratio. However, increased cost from NTMs can adversely affect the small-scale companies that lack resources to adapt their production processes to foreign standards. The paper also traces the Philippine export products affected by nontariff measures imposed by the European Union. In all, NTMs of the EU affect a total of US$34 million of Philippine agriculture and fish exports to these markets, representing almost seven percent of agriculture exports to the twenty-five countries.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hiau LooiKee & Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2009.
"Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(534), pages 172-199, 01.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006. "Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices," CEPR Discussion Papers 5576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006. "Estimating trade restrictiveness indices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3840, The World Bank.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro*Wilson,John S.*Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2001. "A race to the top? A case study of food safety standards and African exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2563, The World Bank.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Wilson, John S. & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2000. "Quantifying the impact of technical barriers to trade : a framework for analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2512, The World Bank.
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2007. "Preferential trading agreements and agricultural liberalization in East and South-East Asia," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT,in: Studies in Trade and Investment - AGRICULTURAL TRADE - PLANTING THE SEEDS OF REGIONAL LIBERALIZATION IN ASIA, volume 60, pages 75-130 United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2006. "Preferential Trading Agreements and Agricultural Liberalization in East and Southeast Asia," Working Papers 1106, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2006. "Preferential Trading Agreements and Agricultural Liberalization in East and Southeast Asia," Development Economics Working Papers 22678, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Pasadilla, Gloria O., 2006. "Preferential Trading Agreements and Agricultural Liberalization in East and Southeast Asia," Discussion Papers DP 2006-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely & Ferrantino, Michael J. & Tsigas, Marinos E., 2003. "Alternative Approaches in Estimating the Economic Effects of Non-Tariff Measures: Results from Newly Quantified Measures," Working Papers 15872, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Dean Judith M & Signoret José E & Feinberg Robert M. & Ludema Rodney D. & Ferrantino Michael J, 2009. "Estimating the Price Effects of Non-Tariff Barriers," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-41, March.
- Michael Ferrantino, 2006. "Quantifying the Trade and Economic Effects of Non-Tariff Measures," OECD Trade Policy Papers 28, OECD Publishing.
- Dean, Judith M. & Feinberg, Robert & Ferrantino, Michael J. & Ludema, Rodney, 2003. "Estimating the Tariff-Equivalent of NTMs," Working Papers 15858, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 1997. "Measurement of Non-Tariff Barriers," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 179, OECD Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2007-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.