Alternative Approaches in Estimating the Economic Effects of Non-Tariff Measures: Results from Newly Quantified Measures
This paper introduces a set of new estimates of NTM price gaps in a standard simulation model and studies the economic effects of their removal. The economic impact of removing the NTMs on footwear, wearing apparel, and processed foods are estimated and discussed using three different techniques (tariff equivalent, export tax equivalent and sand-in-the-wheels). For all of the considered sectors, NTM liberalization leads to a large increase in world trade, and an improved global welfare. Most of the gains from the elimination of NTMs accrue to the liberalizing regions.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 500 E Street SW, Washington, DC 20436|
Web page: http://www.usitc.gov/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Terrie Walmsley & Ken Itakura, 2001.
"Dynamic Effects of the "New Age" Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore,"
GTAP Working Papers
823, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- W. Hertel, Thomas, 2001. "Dynamic Effects of the “New Age” Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 446-484.
- Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 1997. "Measurement of Non-Tariff Barriers," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 179, OECD Publishing.
- Dean, Judith M. & Feinberg, Robert & Ferrantino, Michael J. & Ludema, Rodney, 2003. "Estimating the Tariff-Equivalent of NTMs," Working Papers 15858, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Baldwin, Robert E., 1984. "Trade policies in developed countries," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 571-619 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uitcoe:15872. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.