Constraints to Food Security: The Philippine Case
Over the past two decades, the Philippine economic growth has been erratic and lower than most developing countries in Asia. The agriculture sector has not performed well since 1980s, hence losing its comparative advantage. Recommendations of Congressional Commission on Agricultural Modernization is adopted through the Agricultural and Fisheries Modernization Act which spells out the need for policy and institutional reforms and setting up of public expenditures program. High food prices affect the food security of the large majority of the poor and distorted price incentives lead to lower sectoral and economy wide income. To address market failure in the agriculture sector, there is therefore a need to implement appropriate policies with respect to trade and exchange rate policies, financial markets, intellectual property rights and biosafety. In addition, the paper cites the need for a cost-effective public expenditure programs in research and extension, irrigation and market infrastructure. Efficient institutional frameworks for property rights and government bureaucracy are also suggested.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lamberte, Mario B., 1994.
"Managing Surges in Capital Inflows: The Philippines Case,"
DP 1994-20, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lamberte, Mario B., 1995. "Managing Surges in Capital Inflows: The Philippine Case," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1995 Vol. XXII No. 1-, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lamberte, Mario B. & Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C. & Cororaton, Caesar B. & Guerrero, Margarita F., 1999. "Impacts of the Southeast Asian Financial Crisis on the Philippine Manufacturing Sector," Discussion Papers DP 1999-09, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Bautista, Romeo M., 1987. "Production incentives in Philippine agriculture: effects of trade and exchange rate policies," Research reports 59, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1998. "Agriculture and the macroeconomy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1967, The World Bank.
- Roumasset, James A. & Clarete, Ramon L., 1983. "An Analysis of Economic Policies Affecting the Philippine Coconut Industry," Working Papers WP 1983-08, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_1999-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.