From Prices to Incomes: Agricultural Subsidization without Protection?
Drawing from the experience of the direct income support programs recently introduced in the European Union, Mexico, and the United States, this article highlights problems that may arise when the agricultural sector of a developing economy moves from price-based subsidization to less distorted income support. Such programs are a step in the right direction, but as currently implemented, they have many shortcomings. Moreover, developing countries may lack the necessary supporting arrangements needed to make such programs effective. The article argues that the programs should not restrict the use of land, that the programs should last for a stipulated period of time, and that the fiscal costs should be contained by linking income support payments to world prices. Copyright 1998 by Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 13 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levy, Santiago & Wijnbergen, Sweder van, 1994. "Labor markets, migration and welfare Agriculture in the North-American Free Trade Agreement," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 263-278, April.
- Knudsen, O. & Nash, J., 1990. "Redefinig The Role Of Governement In Agriculture For The 1990s," World Bank - Discussion Papers 105, World Bank.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521351058 is not listed on IDEAS
- Goto, Junichi, 1997. "Regional economic integration and agricultural trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1805, The World Bank.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1987. "Causes of U.S. Farm Commodity Programs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 290-310, April.
- Valdes, A, 1996. "Surveillance of Agricultural Price and Trade Policy in Latin America during Major Policy Reform," World Bank - Discussion Papers 349, World Bank.
- Varangis, Panos & Larson, Don, 1996. "Dealing with commodity price uncertainty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1667, The World Bank.
- Brooks, Karen M., 1993. "Challenges of trade and agricultural development for East/Central Europe and states of the former USSR," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 401-420, June.
- Junichi Goto, 1997. "Regional Economic Integration and Agricultural Trade," Discussion Paper Series 76, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Ingco, Merlinda D., 1995. "Agricultural trade liberalization in the Uruguay Round : one step forward, one step back?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1500, The World Bank.
- Winters, L Alan, 1987. "The Political Economy of the Agricultural Policy of Industrial," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 14(3), pages 285-304.
- Brooks, Karen M., 1993. "Challenges of trade and agricultural development for East/Central Europe and states of the former USSR," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(4), June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:wbrobs:v:13:y:1998:i:2:p:191-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.