Structural reforms and price liberalization in Mexican agriculture
This paper shows that the policy changes introduced by the Mexican Government in the mid-1980s induced a reduction in the profits of the crop subsector. A simple simulation exercise revealed that, under price liberalization of the four crops studied, the demand for agricultural labour will decline by 6 per cent (equivalent to about 360,000 agricultural workers); the supply of maize is expected to decline by about 11 per cent while the corresponding declines of wheat, sorghum, and beans will be 22, 13, and 5 percent, respectively. The use of fertilizer is also expected to decline to two thirds of its current use. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 10 (1998)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 2011.
"Disarray in World Food Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521172318, January.
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 1992. "Disarray in World Food Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521351058, January.
- C. Richard Shumway & Kandiah Jegasothy & William P. Alexander, 1987. "Production Interrelationships In Sri Lankan Peasant Agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 31(1), pages 16-28, 04.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Jegasothy, Kandiah & Alexander, William P., 1987. "Production Interrelationships In Sri Lankan Peasant Agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 31(01), April.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Anderson, James E. & Bannister, Geoffrey, 1992. "The trade restrictiveness index : an application to Mexican agriculture," Policy Research Working Paper Series 874, The World Bank.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1979. "Statistical inference for a system of simultaneous, non-linear, implicit equations in the context of instrumental variable estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2-3), pages 275-302.
- C. Richard Shumway & William P. Alexander, 1988. "Agricultural Product Supplies and Input Demands: Regional Comparisons," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(1), pages 153-161.
- Burfisher, Mary & Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 1992. "Agricultural and food policies in a United States-Mexico free trade area," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 117-139.
- Boyce, James K, 1986. "Kinked Exponential Models for Growth Rate Estimation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(4), pages 385-391, November.
- Levy, Santiago & Wijnbergen, Sweder van, 1994. "Labor markets, migration and welfare Agriculture in the North-American Free Trade Agreement," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 263-278, April.
- Baffes, John & Gautam, Madhur, 1996. "Price Responsiveness, Efficiency, and the Impact of Structural Adjustment on Egyptian Crop Producers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 765-771, April.
- Lopez, Ramon & Nash, John & Stanton, Julie, 1995. "Adjustment and poverty in Mexican agriculture : how farmers'wealth affects supply response," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1494, The World Bank.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- O'Mara, Gerald T & Ingco, Merlinda, 1990. "MEXAGMKTS : a model of crop and livestock markets in Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 446, The World Bank.
- Thijssen, Geert, 1992. "Supply Response and Input Demand of Dutch Dairy Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(2), pages 219-235. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:10:y:1998:i:5:p:575-587. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.