On The Neglect Of Dynamics, Risk And Market Insulation In The Analysis Of Uruguay Round Food Trade Reforms
The substantial investment in models of international food markets prior to and during the Uruguay Round of international trade negotiations has been a mixed blessing so far as the prospects for reform are concerned. At worst, results from these models have misled the negotiations because they have most often ignored a primary concern lending domestic political support to food market interventions, namely the avoidance of risks borne of dependence on international markets. In this paper the reasons for market insulating policies are reviewed and their links with protection elucidated. Some errors that have stemmed from the application of 'standard' but inappropriate models are noted. Finally, the implications of extending the standard method to include dynamic behaviour and market insulating policies are examined.
Volume (Year): 35 (1991)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rod Tyers, 1988.
"Developing Country Interests in Agricultural Trade Reform,"
School of Economics Working Papers
1988-02, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Tyers, Rod, 1989. "Developing Country Interests in Agricultural Trade Reform," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(3), October.
- Tyers, Rod, 1989. "Developing country interests in agricultural trade reform," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 169-186, October.
- Gibbard, Peter & Tyers, Rodney, 1991.
"The Distributional Incidence of Commodity Price Stabilization in an Open Economy,"
1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia
145865, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Peter Gibbard & Rod Tyers, 1990. "The Distributional Incidence of Commodity Price Stabilization in an Open Economy," School of Economics Working Papers 1990-02, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Zietz, Joachim A. & Valdés, Alberto, 1988. "Agriculture in the GATT: an analysis of alternative approaches to reform," Research reports 70, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 2011.
"Disarray in World Food Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521172318, November.
- Sampson, Gary P & Snape, Richard H, 1980. "Effects of the EEC's Variable Import Levies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 1026-40, October.
- Rod Tyers, 1990. "Trade Reform and Price Risk in Domestic and International Food Markets," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 212-229, 06.
- Anderson, Kym & Tyers, Rod, 1992. "Effects of Gradual Food Policy Reforms in the 1990s," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(1), pages 1-24.
- Tyers, Rod, 1990. "Implicit policy preferences and the assessment of negotiable trade policy reforms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1399-1426, November.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Shalit, Haim & Schmitz, Andrew, 1980. "Consumer's Surplus, Price Instability, and Consumer Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 135-52, January.
- Horridge, Mark & Pearce, David & Walker, Agnes, 1990. "World Agricultural Trade Reform: Implications for Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 66(194), pages 235-48, September.
- Valdés, Alberto & Zietz, Joachim A., 1980. "Agricultural protection in OECD countries: its cost to less-developed countries," Research reports 21, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dixit, Avinash, 1987. "Trade and insurance with moral hazard," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 201-220, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ajaeau:22620. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.