Agricultural Competitiveness After the Uruguay Round
This paper examines the extent to which the Uruguay Round's implementation and other policy reforms are likely to alter the fortunes of Australasian and other farmers. It finds that, compared with other structural adjustment pressures, the Uruguay Round per se is likely to have a positive but relatively minor effect. Nonetheless, the net gains are likely to be very substantial relative to the efforts expended by the Cairns Group to ensure agricultural reform remained in the final agreement of the Round. Those gains will be larger the more the Cairns Group remains vigilant in ensuring (a) that the promised cuts in protection are actually implemented, (b) that the reforms are not accompanied by the imposition of compensating support policies and (c) that further cuts are delivered in the next round of negotiations to begin in 1999.
Volume (Year): 63 (1995)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson Kym & Snape Richard H., 1994.
"European and American Regionalism: Effects on and Options for Asia,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 454-477, December.
- Anderson, Kym & Snape, Richard H, 1994. "European and American Regionalism: Effects on and Options for Asia," CEPR Discussion Papers 983, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 2011. "Disarray in World Food Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521172318, August.
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 1992. "Disarray in World Food Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521351058, August.
- Anderson, Kym & Tyers, Rodney, 1993. "Implications of EC Expansion for European Agricultural Policies, Trade and Welfare," CEPR Discussion Papers 829, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tyers, Rod, 1994. "Economic reform in Europe and the former Soviet Union: implications for international food markets," Research reports 99, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Corden, W M, 1984. "Booming Sector and Dutch Disease Economics: Survey and Consolidation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 359-380, November.
- Yujiro Hayami & Yoshihisa Godo, 1997. "Economics and Politics of Rice Policy in Japan: A Perspective on the Uruguay Round," NBER Chapters,in: Regionalism versus Multilateral Trade Arrangements, NBER-EASE Volume 6, pages 371-404 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yujiro Hayami & Yoshihisa Godo, 1995. "Economics and Politics of Rice Policy in Japan: A Perspective on the Uruguay Round," NBER Working Papers 5341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MacLaren, Donald, 1995. "The Uruguay Round Agreement on Agriculture: A New World Order for Agricultural Trade?," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 63(01), April.
- Anderson, Kym, 1995. "The Entwining of Trade Policy with Environmental and Labour Standards," CEPR Discussion Papers 1158, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lloyd, P. J., 1974. "A more general theory of price distortions in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 365-386, November.
- Deardoff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M. & Fox, A.K., 1995. "Computational Analysis of Goods and Services Liberalization in the Uruguay Round," Working Papers 379, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Harrison, Glenn W & Rutherford, Thomas F & Tarr, David G, 1997. "Quantifying the Uruguay Round," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1405-1430, September.
- Francois, Joseph & McDonald, Brad & Nordström, Håkan, 1994. "The Uruguay Round: A Global General Equilibrium Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1067, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:remaae:12383. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.