Agricultural policy and the WTO Agreement: The Philippine Case
The growth of the Philippine economy has been erratic since 1980’s. It is only until recently that it shows signs of catching up with the progress of its fellow Asian countries. Whether its recovery is sustainable at the aggregate level remains largely a question. Agriculture sector, however, is still bereft of such development exhibiting not only a fluctuating but also a relatively dismal performance. Comparison of Asian countries indicates that the Philippines have the most severe and most prolonged decline in the gross value added in agricultural exports. This is suspected to be due to the differences in the policy and institutional structures governing the sector. This paper analyzes the changing nature of price intervention and public expenditure policies affecting agriculture, the implications of WTO agricultural agreement on these policies and the factors in the political economy that help shape the nature of agricultural policies. Analysis shows price distortion and protection result to economy-wide inefficiencies through high consumer prices. The non-discriminating choice of policy instruments translates to inefficiency as well.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 2011.
"Disarray in World Food Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521172318.
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 1992. "Disarray in World Food Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521351058.
- Schiff, Maurice*Valdes, Alberto, 1998. "Agriculture and the macroeconomy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1967, The World Bank.
- Roumasset, James A. & Clarete, Ramon L., 1983. "An Analysis of Economic Policies Affecting the Philippine Coconut Industry," Working Papers WP 1983-08, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Bautista, Romeo M., 1987. "Production incentives in Philippine agriculture: effects of trade and exchange rate policies," Research reports 59, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_1997-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.