Flooding Risk And Housing Values: An Economic Assessment Of Environmental Hazard
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel, Vanessa E. & Florax, Raymond J.G.M. & Rietveld, Piet, 2009. "Flooding risk and housing values: An economic assessment of environmental hazard," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 355-365, December.
References listed on IDEAS
- Raymond J. G. M. Florax & Chiara M. Travisi & Peter Nijkamp, 2005.
"A meta-analysis of the willingness to pay for reductions in pesticide risk exposure,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 441-467, December.
- Chiara M. Travisi & Peter Nijkamp & Raymond J. G. M. Florax, 2004. "A Meta-Analysis of the Willingness to Pay for Reductions in Pesticide Risk Exposure," Working Papers 2004.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Florax, Raymond J.G.M. & Travisi, Chiara M. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2005. "A Meta-Analysis of the Willingness to Pay for Reductions in Pesticide Risk Exposure," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19524, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1995. "Time-Series Minimum-Wage Studies: A Meta-analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 238-243, May.
- Luke Brander & Raymond Florax & Jan Vermaat, 2006. "The Empirics of Wetland Valuation: A Comprehensive Summary and a Meta-Analysis of the Literature," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 223-250, February.
- Browne, Mark J & Hoyt, Robert E, 2000. "The Demand for Flood Insurance: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 291-306, May.
- Don N. MacDonald & James C. Murdoch & Harry L. White, 1987. "Uncertain Hazards, Insurance, and Consumer Choice: Evidence from Housing Markets," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 63(4), pages 361-371.
- Fridgen, Patrick M. & Shultz, Steven D., 1999. "The Influence Of The Threat Of Flooding On Housing Values In Fargo, North Dakota And Moorhead, Minnesota," Agricultural Economics Reports 23155, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Kurt J. Beron & James C. Murdoch & Mark A. Thayer & Wim P. M. Vijverberg, 1997. "An Analysis of the Housing Market before and after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(1), pages 101-113.
- David M. Harrison & Greg T. Smersh & Arthur L. Schwartz, Jr, 2001. "Environmental Determinants of Housing Prices: The Impact of Flood Zone Status," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 21(1/2), pages 3-20.
- Jerald R. Barnard, 1978. "Externalities from Urban Growth: The Case of Increased Storm Runoff and Flooding," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 54(3), pages 298-315.
- Lewis, Jeffrey B. & Linzer, Drew A., 2005. "Estimating Regression Models in Which the Dependent Variable Is Based on Estimates," Political Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 345-364, September.
- Okmyung Bin & Thomas W. Crawford & Jamie B. Kruse & Craig E. Landry, 2008. "Viewscapes and Flood Hazard: Coastal Housing Market Response to Amenities and Risk," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(3), pages 434-448.
- T. D. Stanley, 2005. "Beyond Publication Bias," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 309-345, July.
- Austin Troy & Jeff Romm, 2004. "Assessing the price effects of flood hazard disclosure under the California natural hazard disclosure law (AB 1195)," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(1), pages 137-162.
- Hallstrom, Daniel G. & Smith, V. Kerry, 2005. "Market responses to hurricanes," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 541-561, November.
- Terrance R. Skantz & Thomas H. Strickland, 1987. "House Prices and a Flood Event: An Empirical Investigation of Market Efficiency," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 75-83.
- Okmyung Bin & Jamie Brown Kruse & Craig E. Landry, 2008. "Flood Hazards, Insurance Rates, and Amenities: Evidence From the Coastal Housing Market," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(1), pages 63-82.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Shilling, James D. & Sirmans, C. F. & Benjamin, John D., 1989. "Flood insurance, wealth redistribution, and urban property values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 43-53, July.
- John List & Craig Gallet, 2001. "What Experimental Protocol Influence Disparities Between Actual and Hypothetical Stated Values?," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(3), pages 241-254, November.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- James M. Holway & Raymond J. Burby, 1990. "The Effects of Floodplain Development Controls on Residential Land Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(3), pages 259-271.
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003.
"Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998. "Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-475, June.
- Speyrer, Janet Furman & Ragas, Wade R, 1991. "Housing Prices and Flood Risk: An Examination Using Spline Regression," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 395-407, December.
- Smith, V Kerry & Huang, Ju-Chin, 1995. "Can Markets Value Air Quality? A Meta-analysis of Hedonic Property Value Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 209-227, February.
- Okmyung Biny & Stephen Polasky, 2004. "Effects of Flood Hazards on Property Values: Evidence Before and After Hurricane Floyd," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(4).
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kousky, Carolyn & Walls, Margaret, 2013. "Floodplain Conservation as a Flood Mitigation Strategy: Examining Costs and Benefits," Discussion Papers dp-13-22-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Békés, Gábor & Horváth, Áron & Sápi, Zoltán, 2016.
"Lakóingatlanárak és települési különbségek
[Housing prices and location differences]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(12), pages 1289-1323.
- de Koning, Koen & Filatova, Tatiana & Bin, Okmyung, 2017. "Bridging the Gap Between Revealed and Stated Preferences in Flood-prone Housing Markets," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(C), pages 1-13.
- Kousky, Carolyn & Walls, Margaret, 2014. "Floodplain conservation as a flood mitigation strategy: Examining costs and benefits," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 119-128.
- Laura A. Bakkensen & Lint Barrage, 2017. "Flood Risk Belief Heterogeneity and Coastal Home Price Dynamics: Going Under Water?," NBER Working Papers 23854, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:8:y:2016:i:1:p:44:d:61714 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tapsuwan, Sorada & Polyakov, Maksym & Bark, Rosalind & Nolan, Martin, 2015. "Valuing the Barmah–Millewa Forest and in stream river flows: A spatial heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation consistent (SHAC) approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 98-105.
- Felix Haifeng Liao & Frank M. Wilhelm & Mark Solomon, 2016. "The Effects of Ambient Water Quality and Eurasian Watermilfoil on Lakefront Property Values in the Coeur d’Alene Area of Northern Idaho, USA," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(1), pages 1-12, January.
- Alicia N. Rambaldi & Cameron S. Fletcher & Kerry Collins & Ryan R.J. McAllister, 2013.
"Housing Shadow Prices in an Inundation-prone Suburb,"
Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 50(9), pages 1889-1905, July.
- Alicia Rambaldi & Ryan McAllister & Kerry Collins & Cameron Fletcher, 2011. "Housing shadow prices in an inundation prone suburb," Discussion Papers Series 429, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Masha Maslianskaia-Pautrel & Catherine Baumont pba148, 2016. "The nature and impacts of environmental spillovers on housing prices: A spatial hedonic analysis," Working Papers 2016.04, FAERE - French Association of Environmental and Resource Economists.
- Athanasios Votsis & Adriaan Perrels, 2016. "Housing Prices and the Public Disclosure of Flood Risk: A Difference-in-Differences Analysis in Finland," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 53(4), pages 450-471, November.
- Dan S. Rickman, 2014.
"Assessing Regional Quality of Life: A Call for Action in Regional Science,"
The Review of Regional Studies,
Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 44(1), pages 1-12, Spring.
- Dan S. Rickman, 2014. "Assessing Regional Quality of Life: A Call for Action in Regional Science," Economics Working Paper Series 1411, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business.
- Rickman, Dan S., 2014. "Assessing Regional Quality of Life: A Call for Action in Regional Science," MPRA Paper 58109, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:kap:enreec:v:69:y:2018:i:2:d:10.1007_s10640-016-0076-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marija Bockarjova & Piet Rietveld & Erik T. Verhoef, 2012. "Composite Valuation of Immaterial Damage in Flooding: Value of Statistical Life, Value of Statistical Evacuation and Value of Statistical Injury," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-047/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gabor Bekes & Aron Horvath & Zoltan Sapi, 2016. "Flood risk and housing prices: evidence from Hungary," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1620, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Bark, R.H. & Osgood, D.E. & Colby, B.G. & Katz, G. & Stromberg, J., 2009. "Habitat preservation and restoration: Do homebuyers have preferences for quality habitat?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1465-1475, March.
- Fell, Harrison & Kousky, Carolyn, 2015. "The value of levee protection to commercial properties," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(C), pages 181-188.
- Veronesi, Marcella & Chawla, Fabienne & Maurer, Max & Lienert, Judit, 2014.
"Climate change and the willingness to pay to reduce ecological and health risks from wastewater flooding in urban centers and the environment,"
Elsevier, vol. 98(C), pages 1-10.
- Marcella Veronesi & Fabienne Chawla & Max Maurer & Judit Lienert, 2013. "Climate Change and the Willingness to Pay to Reduce Ecological and Health Risks from Wastewater Flooding in Urban Centers and the Environment," Working Papers 01/2013, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Paul Frijters & Benno Torgler & Darshana Rajapaksa & Clevo Wilson & Shunsuke Managi & Vincent Hoang & Boon Lee, 2016. "Flood Risk Information, Actual Floods and Property Values: A Quasi-Experimental Analysis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 92, pages 52-67, June.
- Arnaud Goussebaïle, 2016. "Risk prevention in cities prone to natural hazards," Working Papers hal-01358734, HAL.
More about this item
KeywordsManufactured Housing; valuation; environmental risk; meta-analysis; hedonic pricing;
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters and their Management; Global Warming
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-06-11 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2007-06-11 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2007-06-11 (Risk Management)
- NEP-URE-2007-06-11 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pae:wpaper:07-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Weber). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dapurus.html .