Effects of Flood Hazards on Property Values: Evidence Before and After Hurricane Floyd
This study uses a hedonic property price function to estimate the effects of flood hazards on residential property value. Utilizing data from sales of 8,000 single-family residential homes between 1992 and 2002 in Pitt County, North Carolina, an area that experienced significant flooding from Hurricane Floyd in September 1999, we find that a house located within a floodplain has a lower market value than an equivalent house located outside the floodplain. Furthermore, the price discount from locating within a floodplain is significantly larger after Hurricane Floyd than before.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Don N. MacDonald & James C. Murdoch & Harry L. White, 1987. "Uncertain Hazards, Insurance, and Consumer Choice: Evidence from Housing Markets," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 63(4), pages 361-371.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Brookshire, David S, et al, 1985. "A Test of the Expected Utility Model: Evidence from Earthquake Risks," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 369-89, April.
- David M. Harrison & Greg T. Smersh & Arthur L. Schwartz, Jr, 2001. "Environmental Determinants of Housing Prices: The Impact of Flood Zone Status," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 21(1/2), pages 3-20.
- Speyrer, Janet Furman & Ragas, Wade R, 1991. "Housing Prices and Flood Risk: An Examination Using Spline Regression," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 395-407, December.
- Brent L. Mahan & BStephen Polasky & Richard M. Adams, 2000. "Valuing Urban Wetlands: A Property Price Approach," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(1), pages 100-113.
- Bernknopf, Richard L. & Brookshire, David S. & Thayer, Mark A., 1990. "Earthquake and volcano hazard notices: An economic evaluation of changes in risk perceptions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 35-49, January.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Kurt J. Beron & James C. Murdoch & Mark A. Thayer & Wim P. M. Vijverberg, 1997. "An Analysis of the Housing Market before and after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(1), pages 101-113.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:80:y:2004:i:4:p490-500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.