Environmental Determinants of Housing Prices: The Impact of Flood Zone Status
This study examines the valuation of homes located within 100-year flood plains. Utilizing a database of 29,887 property transactions in Alachua County, Florida, the results of this investigation suggest that comparable characteristic homes located within a flood zone sell, on average, for less than homes located outside flood zones. Interestingly, the price differential is less than the present value of future flood insurance premiums. In addition, the price differential is shown to have increased since passage of the National Flood Insurance Reform Act of 1994. Finally, it appears that property tax assessors have slightly over-assessed properties located in flood zones relative to those in other areas. The large database and the lengthy period of analysis (1980â€“1997) are much broader than that of previous research efforts.
Volume (Year): 21 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benson, Earl D, et al, 1998. "Pricing Residential Amenities: The Value of a View," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 55-73, January.
- Shilling, James D. & Sirmans, C. F. & Benjamin, John D., 1989. "Flood insurance, wealth redistribution, and urban property values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 43-53, July.
- Gatzlaff Dean H. & Ling David C., 1994. "Measuring Changes in Local House Prices: An Empirical Investigation of Alternative Methodologies," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 221-244, March.
- Terrance R. Skantz & Thomas H. Strickland, 1987. "House Prices and a Flood Event: An Empirical Investigation of Market Efficiency," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 75-83.
- Michel Glower & Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1998. "Selling Time and Selling Price: The Influence of Seller Motivation," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 719-740.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:21:n:1/2:2001:p:3-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.